Stock Ubolt Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had one broken U-bolt on the Plow Truck ('97 K2500 with 10.5" full-float axle.) My suspicion is that it's original, and was made just a bit too narrow. Like 2.45 instead of the full 2.50 width. The stress of having to fit around the slightly-wider leaf spring pack popped the U-bolt at one of the corners. And, of course, it's been necked-down by rust at the top of the threads. Not as bad as the ones from my K1500, but easily noticeable. The other three U-bolts are still intact; probably necked-down but still functional.

Original U-bolt is 5/8", coarse thread. Replacement from the local steel supplier/fabrication shop is 5/8 fine-thread.

This shop makes U-bolts to order. I walk in with the broken U-bolt, the counterman measures it, goes in the back room. About five minutes later, he's back with a freshly-made U-bolt.

I expect the thing is made with ordinary mild steel rod bent-to-measure, the fine threads are cut not rolled. There's no way this is a "Grade 8" job. About $25 with two washers and two double-long fine thread nuts.

I dug as much rust and dirt out of the bottom bracket as I could, and rattled the U-bolt into place. Set the torque wrench at 150 which, given the fine threads and anti-seize, may be higher than I needed. I think I should have set the wrench at 140, maybe.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I lucked out. Went to local semi brake/hydraulic hose shop. Told dude what I needed n he said "oh chevy half ton?" 10 min later had a full set of square u bolts for less than I could have ordered em for. All he needed was length incase I was liftin or lowering. Think was $31 bucks after tax.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I lucked out. Went to local semi brake/hydraulic hose shop. Told dude what I needed n he said "oh chevy half ton?" 10 min later had a full set of square u bolts for less than I could have ordered em for. All he needed was length incase I was liftin or lowering. Think was $31 bucks after tax.

I've got a local shop, same deal. I got some 5/8" fatties for my dually, I just brought the plates in and we found the fattest bolts we could shove through.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I've got a local shop, same deal. I got some 5/8" fatties for my dually, I just brought the plates in and we found the fattest bolts we could shove through.
Wish we could go back to them old days of local shops with old dudes "just knowin" what we need. I don't mind the wait. I've been to this shop before multiple times n they Just Know.