Stock Trailer Hitch and Spare Tire Fit K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I'm not sure about 4wds haha. But yeah, it's a tight fit with a 235/75r15 tire for sure

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, can anyone confirm that their spare tire raises and lowers without being obstructed by the trailer hitch? Im assuming that is what is normal, but i suppose perhaps it is possible that everyone has to push the spare forward to clear the hitch when raising it... seems unlikely.
Mine lowers and raises just fine without hitting the hitch. My spare is a 265.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cokeman can you post a photo to from the underside showing the tire and trailer hitch? I'm curious if the hitch is a straight hitch or if it has any angles on it. Also where it's mounted to the frame.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Not the best picture but you get the idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, cool thanks. Appreciate it. Looks like a straight crossbar on that trailer hitch. I was curious if perhaps they were angled from stock to allow space for the spare. Yours doesn't interfere. Thanks for the picture

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apologies for reopening such an old thread, but have a question - I got a C1500 2wd with 16" wheels (not 15" like it would be stock for the 2wd trucks). Is there any major difference back there between the 2wd and 4wd trucks? I pulled my hitch entirely to make room for my spare but now I'm wondering if I really needed to do that.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apologies for reopening such an old thread, but have a question - I got a C1500 2wd with 16" wheels (not 15" like it would be stock for the 2wd trucks). Is there any major difference back there between the 2wd and 4wd trucks? I pulled my hitch entirely to make room for my spare but now I'm wondering if I really needed to do that.
Rim size is not the issue, overall tire diameter matters.
The rear of the truck: the frame, hitch, and crossmembers are the same 4x4 to 2wd. The difference is in the axle width and perch measurements, external to the frame. Bumpers are the same, bumper brackets are the same, and frame dimensions are the same.
Aftermarket hitches and where they're mounted, are usually the problem. Slack-jawed installers just put them into existing holes, or my '88 1500's case they drilled new holes to clear my roll pan.
As for moving the tire forward, there's nothing that is dangerous or problematic. It's one if those "Gotta do whatcha gotta do".

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 93 half ton has a aftermarket hitch it’s bolted and welded and spare fits I welded it on because I’m never going to remove it.