Stock radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radio in my 94 Silverado all of a sudden stopped playing Music on the FM channel. It worked one day then the next it didnt.

I can hear "white noise" when I scroll through the stations but no actual music.

When I switch to "AM" I can hear the stations but there is still alot of white noise in the back ground.

However the cassette player plays just fine. The music is nice and clear.

The antenna is plugged in. The factory wiring has never been compromised.

What do yall think is going on? Is it toast? If so does anyone know where I can get a refurbished radio like this? Does anyone have one that works good? I would want one where everything still works including all the buttons that illuminate.

The radio also still has a nice bright as well.

Attachments

• 16745771317596156811705088382487.jpg
    16745771317596156811705088382487.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 28

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
When I did my install of a new Retrosound unit, I remember the antenna adapter connected to the antenna wire somewhere behind the dash around where the cassette player is. So, the antenna adapter wire could be connected to the receiver but if that wire is disconnected from the actual antenna wire then there's no transmission. AM can be picked up locally over shorter distances. Have you done any dash work that could have pulled that apart lately? Not sure if this is the culprit or not. If that's not it, then I'll answer as everyone does, "check your grounds". :)

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The brain box just above and in front of the gas pedal needs to be rehabilitated. Being that yours is a '94, you're going to want another one from a '94 or see if there's a joint which will try & refurb it. If it's got largish heat sinks on it, it's the desirable unit with higher output than it's predecessors. I don't see any bass or treble buttons so you've also got the equalizer deal, which means if you do get a replacement unit it'll have to be one with an equalizer. If you don't care about higher output (it's not really that much, but definitely helps if you've got aftermarket speakers as its more stable with lower loads) you can use any equalizer brain box.

Edit: you can try and clean up where the antenna connects, but I suspect the tuner section is dead. The tape input bypasses the tuner. Those of us who keep the stock deck modify them such that we can use the tape input to wire in a 3.5mm jack for iPod use or whatever.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Probably the soldered connections in one of the boards have started coming loose, like they all do eventually. But the antenna cable and connections sounds like a good place to start(pun intended!).
I know the '95 up head units, cause I've had 3 so far that have done this, they come unsoldered internally. I used to have a Delco qualified technician that rebuilt all our car/ truck radios and decks, but it's been over 10 years since I had any dealings with him.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my install of a new Retrosound unit, I remember the antenna adapter connected to the antenna wire somewhere behind the dash around where the cassette player is. So, the antenna adapter wire could be connected to the receiver but if that wire is disconnected from the actual antenna wire then there's no transmission. AM can be picked up locally over shorter distances. Have you done any dash work that could have pulled that apart lately? Not sure if this is the culprit or not. If that's not it, then I'll answer as everyone does, "check your grounds". :)

Na I haven't done any dash work at all. It literally worked one day then the next time I drove the truck (a week later) ... nothing. Ima have to actually take the radio out and see what's going on.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radio in my 94 Silverado all of a sudden stopped playing Music on the FM channel. It worked one day then the next it didnt.

I can hear "white noise" when I scroll through the stations but no actual music.

When I switch to "AM" I can hear the stations but there is still alot of white noise in the back ground.

What do yall think is going on? Is it toast? If so does anyone know where I can get a refurbished radio like this? Does anyone have one that works good? I would want one where everything still works including all the buttons that illuminate.

I dropped my radio,

I dropped off my radio, brain box, & cassette deck to an audio guy to have them tested. If they work, I’m gonna part with them. No ETA on it though. Told him no rush.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
It is amazing you have a cassette deck that works and ejects properly, very rare.

I think i used three cassette decks to make one working one. Haven't tried playing a tape in over a year though. Don't know why I bothered, cassettes are schit, especially the non metal types.