Stock air filter question. Can I get rid of all the plastic crap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 94 Burb I still have the stock air filter unit. The air filter attaches to this plastic piece that then connects to a big plastic box mounted on the passenger side fender. Is it ok to disconnect all of the plastic stuff and just run the stock air filter without all of the plastic crap? Will it screw up emissions or anything? It is just so damn bulky I'd like to get it out of there if possible. Thanks guys.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No harm to the emissions, but you'll now be sucking in hot engine compartment air vs. the cooler air you were drawing through all that plastic junk. It's factory-equipped "free" cold air induction...might as well leave it on!

Follow through that ductwork and where it draws air from is a scoop on the core support just behind the passenger side turn signal.

Richard

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. What about the metal hose that goes from the air cleanser to the exhaust manifold? I just installed headers a while back and don't know what to do with that hose. Any suggestions?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What he said ^^^^^

Go aftermarket if you have some extra coin in your pockets, might even gain a few hp, otherwise leave it.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That metal flex hose is just to send hot air radiating from the manifold up into the air filter housing; there's a wax pellet/spring loaded flap assembly in there that closes when it's cold, so it helps a little during warm-up time. Those pellets fail with age and use and sometimes will allow the flap to get sucked closed.

You can eliminate the assembly from the air cleaner housing but there's no going back other than replacing the housing. I did one where I drilled out the rivets and cut the rod to remove the flap assembly then used foil duct tape (the strong stuff) to cover the holes:

You must be registered for see images attach

Note that I wrapped the tape past the lip of the snorkel attachment, and on the rectangular hole where the pellet assembly came out, I stuck the tape to itself. You also want to do a really good job of using a degreasing type cleaner on the housing so the tape sticks like it's supposed to. You don't want it coming loose.

This kind of hack-y solution was later replaced with the housing from a 1995 C2500 which originally came without that setup at all.

If you want to "de-bulk" the underhood appearance a bit, get a snorkel flex hose off a base model V6 truck. Some of them have the resonator box like your truck does, but many came without it, using simply a hose from the fender to the air cleaner housing. Look closely at the donor truck and you'll see there are two small plastic plugs popped into the holes on the fenderwell that used to hold the bracket for the resonator. Nice to grab those as they help keep the road spray out of your engine compartment.

Richard

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all of the info. I'll have to think about this one a bit.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
or remove the flapper and replace the box with a smooth tube.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone on here is selling a Volant intake for the 350 TBI for cheap

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
That metal flex hose is just to send hot air radiating from the manifold up into the air filter housing; there's a wax pellet/spring loaded flap assembly in there that closes when it's cold, so it helps a little during warm-up time. Those pellets fail with age and use and sometimes will allow the flap to get sucked closed.

You can eliminate the assembly from the air cleaner housing but there's no going back other than replacing the housing. I did one where I drilled out the rivets and cut the rod to remove the flap assembly then used foil duct tape (the strong stuff) to cover the holes:

Note that I wrapped the tape past the lip of the snorkel attachment, and on the rectangular hole where the pellet assembly came out, I stuck the tape to itself. You also want to do a really good job of using a degreasing type cleaner on the housing so the tape sticks like it's supposed to. You don't want it coming loose.

This kind of hack-y solution was later replaced with the housing from a 1995 C2500 which originally came without that setup at all.

If you want to "de-bulk" the underhood appearance a bit, get a snorkel flex hose off a base model V6 truck. Some of them have the resonator box like your truck does, but many came without it, using simply a hose from the fender to the air cleaner housing. Look closely at the donor truck and you'll see there are two small plastic plugs popped into the holes on the fenderwell that used to hold the bracket for the resonator. Nice to grab those as they help keep the road spray out of your engine compartment.

Richard

You did the same thing I did a year or so ago ha. I rivited a new plate under the pre heater instead if tape. Eithe works though.

Sent from my rusted to hell and back OBS