Stock 305 cam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of these sparsely scattered roller cam engines but maybe just test mules as you stated. All the blocks on the TBI engines are 'ready' for a roller cam setup. I guess people could have also swapped the stuff in. Either way, they really only came 'standard' in the TPI setups, then 'Vortec' in '96.
Actually there are plenty of 1-piece rear seal blocks used on the TBI engines that are not only not machined for roller cams but not provisioned for them at all. The 3 stand offs are not cast into the block. Also the lifter bores are not machined for the dog bones. Finally the cam retaining plate boss is not widened for the retaining bolt boses. I forget the casting numbers but there are 2-3 non roller compatible 350 castings and a 305 casting or two.

Nearly every 305 TBI I have been into 92+ has been factory roller. It coincides with a small factory power bump as well.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, FWIU most cars had rollers, an occasional truck did too but, I think they got them because the factory ran out of flat tappets and had to fill the order, ha ha. My Mr Goodwrench flat tappet block has the bosses for a roller and I'm just finishing up replacing my wiped out flat tappet now.

This would apply to converting a 305 too...
www.gmt400.com/threads/my-flat-tappet-cam-wiped-out-so-i-decided-to-go-roller.60167/

Yah my project truck has the bosses and dude didn't break in the flat-tap cam right. I'm still gonna put in another flat-tap cam as I've not really lost any i broke in, well one lost a lobe but I didn't break it in and it wasn't even broke in in my engine(re-used cam & lifters) LOL But it lasted a LONG time. Only lost that lobe after I switched to synthetic.

Anyways hope to get that truck sorted out this spring Finally!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PWC Repair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this info here really makes me think something else..........frikken FORD!! I thought they were the ones changing things up all willy-nilly with no apparent rhyme or reason.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All this info here really makes me think something else..........frikken FORD!! I thought they were the ones changing things up all willy-nilly with no apparent rhyme or reason.
If you think the small block changed alot, look at the 4.3 V6. The parts are often not even interchangeable between the two plants that built them. The 60* V6s are the same way too.