Stiff Accelerator pedal only when running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabaay907

Reaction score
Hey so I’m new here but I just bought a 91 Chevy Silverado k1500 for $1800 from my boss and it’s only got 60k miles on this beast and rebuilt transmission. The down side is my t case is shot but it still runs.

So my issue is that my accelerator pedal gets stiff only when my engines runnning. When’s it’s shut off it feels normal. When it’s running I have moved the actual throttle body thing (where the cable ends inside the hood) and it seems and been told it’s fine. Anyone know what’s the issue? Also anyone in anchorage or Alaska know where I can get a used t case for cheap?

Attachments

• 60B4740E-9567-40E7-9880-22D3094DAAA4.jpeg
    60B4740E-9567-40E7-9880-22D3094DAAA4.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 26
  • C0691C99-0038-4FCD-99C4-F0786AF0B82C.jpeg
    C0691C99-0038-4FCD-99C4-F0786AF0B82C.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 25

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USUALLY, a stiff throttle pedal only when the engine is running, is a worn-out throttle body. The throttle shaft wears the supports on either side. Drilling the supports oversize, and then pressing in bronze bushings can fix that. It's a reasonably precise operation, not something you'd do with an ordinary drill bit and some crappy cordless drill. And getting the screws out of the throttle shaft can be...interesting.

I'd look for loose throttle plates, too.

As said, disconnect the Cruise cable, and the trans TV cable (don't drive the truck, just run the engine) and see if the pedal is still hard to push.

I've seen throttle cables get frayed and stiff, but they're stiff all the time.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
USUALLY, a stiff throttle pedal only when the engine is running, is a worn-out throttle body. The throttle shaft wears the supports on either side. Drilling the supports oversize, and then pressing in bronze bushings can fix that. It's a reasonably precise operation, not something you'd do with an ordinary drill bit and some crappy cordless drill. And getting the screws out of the throttle shaft can be...interesting.

I'd look for loose throttle plates, too.

As said, disconnect the Cruise cable, and the trans TV cable (don't drive the truck, just run the engine) and see if the pedal is still hard to push.

I've seen throttle cables get frayed and stiff, but they're stiff all the time.

I've actually got my throttle body out right now.... are the TBI's just running the shaft through the aluminum body? My Vortec looks to have a ball bearing in place.

Something I just thought of, maybe it's carbon build up making it stick, for the OP, but he's only noticing while running?