Sticky Locks, Where to Look?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm late to the discussion. For the next owner that has trouble with their locks being slow or stuck: you can clean and lube the actuators to get them working nearly new. I broke mine trying to disassemble the actuator in my vice and just got a new one for something like $18 usd. Instead of re-riveting the actuator I put some stainless #10 screws with lock nuts, and that may be cheaper than buying a rivet gun if you don't already have one.
$.02
Just trying to contribute!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I need to get off my dead ass and fix my locks, but I've been caught up with putting my trailer back together and getting the Camaro ready to load. I head to the track tomorrow after work. I'll update whenever I get around to doing this, thanks all for the input so far!

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some insight on how to get a rear door open that locked? The electric door actuator seems to have failed and the inside manual lock won't budge.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
what door exactly? rear barn door on a burb/hoe/yukon? that could be quite tricky and require some "exploratory" work.

I had both handles broken on my drivers door of my burb. that sucked balls. I would dukes n hazards it in n out. I drilled a 2 inch hole with a hole saw through the interior door handle, found the rods and gave them a pull... I didn't actually know shìt about the inner workings of these doors. theres 2 rods, one is lock the other is door handle. the door was locked and the door lock actuator was flopping around inside and wouldnt unlock the door. eventually I unlocked the door with the rod and then it opened right up. it was entirely "exploratory" work.

the rear doors work a bit different but I have not been inside one cant really offer any help.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to provide some closure to this thread as I finally dealt with the 2 problem doors. The passenger front had endured a bit of ignorance, far as I can tell the tech that installed the new window was careless and didn't have the linkage properly routed and managed to tweak it. I snapped the one rod back into its guide and bent the other so I could actually fit it back into the actuator. At first I simply tweaked the actuator onto the rod, but it wouldn't lock and unlock that way. Once I tweaked the rod so it was back in plane, the actuator had no problem locking and unlocking the door. Sweet! In and out in under 20 minutes. Similar with the rear drivers' side door. There I found that the 2 rivets holding the actuator were no longer holding the actuator, so it was just flopping around in there but was still clinging to the rod. I removed the actuator, drilled out what was left of the old rivets, popped in 2 new rivets, and all 4 door locks work perfectly now. Only took me 5 years of owning this thing and less than an hour of my life to perform this fix. A victory beer was smashed immediately upon completion of this task.

Jsiff

Reaction score
Ever since I got the dually, I've lived with 2 sticky locks. Lately I've got a bug up my ass to fix it, so I'm wondering if you guys have found common causes? Basically when I hit the electric locks, they're not strong enough to actuate 2 of the doors. You can physically feel that they're sticking a little. Is it as simple as a squirt of WD40 on the lock/latch assembly? Or have you guys had trouble with the actuators too? If so, is there a good place to lube them?
My passenger side front door on my 99 hoe was like this. new actuator did it for me.