Stereo virgin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
So finally got my stereo hooked up. Doin it all on my own and first time actually doin one... At 35.

-Kenwood KDC-122u head unit I found at junkyard for $20

-Sony xplod 1000 watt amp I picked up for $30.

-Skar 6.5s in doors with factory tweeters and debating what to use for rear 4x6s

Had a brand new Skar 10 inch sub under backseat but burnt it up in half a song.

Now using the Escalade bose 8 inch in console.

Sittin in driveway I found sub settings on head unit and adjusted some other settings. Played some Mushroom head "QWERTY" and that lil 8 inch had my beer dancing in the esky cupholder and mirrors shaking. I'm impressed.

So time for my questions.

I read I should run a bigger inline fuse than what is in my sub. Have 2 35 amps in sub so I put a 40 inline. Big enough? Kept Poppin inline whenever I'd plug aux cord into my phone.

Amp gets hot after bout 25-30 min. Like barely touch it hot. Normal?

Should I leave the sub bridged since it's small speaker or is there a better way to hook it up?

I'm sorry if things are misspellem or words messed up my junk phone deletes as I type n won't autocored on forum.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I read I should run a bigger inline fuse than what is in my sub. Have 2 35 amps in sub so I put a 40 inline. Big enough? Kept Poppin inline whenever I'd plug aux cord into my phone.

Definitely not big enough. I'm assuming you mean there are two 35A fuses in the Sony amp, which means you'd want at least a 70A inline master fuse. (Rule of thumb) Located less than 12" from the positive terminal of the battery.

Amp gets hot after bout 25-30 min. Like barely touch it hot. Normal?

No, not normal at all. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in one of your other threads but you really need to find out what impedance that sub is with a multimeter. You could be way overdriving the amp, sub, or both.

Should I leave the sub bridged since it's small speaker or is there a better way to hook it up?

You definitely want the sub bridged so it's getting a mono input which is the sum of both channels. It sounds to me like you need to turn the gain WAY down on your amp, though.

No offense but that is quite a mishmosh of low end equipment with no real specifications listed to make any kind of an educated guess on why you're having issues. At the very least a model number on your amp would be nice. The fact that you burned up a brand new 10", no matter how ****** the brand, tells me that you had a major clipping issue somewhere. (Gains set too high.)

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Definitely not big enough. I'm assuming you mean there are two 35A fuses in the Sony amp, which means you'd want at least a 70A inline master fuse. (Rule of thumb) Located less than 12" from the positive terminal of the battery.

No, not normal at all. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in one of your other threads but you really need to find out what impedance that sub is with a multimeter. You could be way overdriving the amp, sub, or both.

You definitely want the sub bridged so it's getting a mono input which is the sum of both channels. It sounds to me like you need to turn the gain WAY down on your amp, though.

No offense but that is quite a mishmosh of low end equipment with no real specifications listed to make any kind of an educated guess on why you're having issues. At the very least a model number on your amp would be nice. The fact that you burned up a brand new 10", no matter how ****** the brand, tells me that you had a major clipping issue somewhere. (Gains set too high.)

Cool. I appreciate the input. If it stops raining I'll go out n turn down the gain and check the impedence. Swear i live in oregon with all the rain this week. Ill admit I'm ignorant with electronics but tryin to learn. This set up was kind of a chance happening with the prices of things. Not goin for competition level just a decent sound... It's close. If I have to upgrade later, so be it. If I spend big money Its always in the brakes or suspension cuz ya know... Safety. Hookin up a head unit was the most experience I've ever truly had.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's all good, we all start somewhere!

Like I said if you can, get me a model number on that amp too. I'm really curious to see how much RMS power it actually puts out and what impedance loads it's stable at.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those Kenwoods are good units and if it is loud enough that is all you need. If your 20 buck unit doesn't have Bluetooth the new model that does will slide right in and plug into the same connector . 100 bucks and you are on the air with hands free phone and phone tunes in the radio.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I had a "1000W," rated Sony Xplod at one time (silver and red in color, circa 2003). Actual output was rated at 200W RMS x 2.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of some pretty sweet head units I was eyeballing on Crutchfield. Would love to get Apple Car Play and hands free bluetooth capability in my 97. I have been spoiled by those features and I miss them when I am driving sometimes, lol.