stepside vs fleet side short box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
both are desireable trucks;
The key being short box, as most regular cab were the 8 foot box and the short (6') box was normally relegated to trucks with the extended cab.
I used to prefer the looks of the step side, but I have changed so that when I started casually looking for a possible truck* I was only interested in a fleetside;
I find that the fleet side is a nice balance of practicality and styling.
Sure I cannot fit a whole 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the box, but it is nearly as big;
To compare (if I got a correct source here):
88-98 short box fleet side inside measurements = 69-3/4" wide x 77" long
88-98 short box step side inside measurements = 56-1/2 wide x 77-1/4" long
Granted the fleet side does lose some width from the wheel wells, but there is still ALOT more useable space.

* = at the time I wrote off being able to get my grandfathers truck, which was owned by my cousin.
As said here if you plan on hauling anything get a fleetside.

Reaction score
both are desireable trucks;
The key being short box, as most regular cab were the 8 foot box and the short (6') box was normally relegated to trucks with the extended cab.
I used to prefer the looks of the step side, but I have changed so that when I started casually looking for a possible truck* I was only interested in a fleetside;
Sure I cannot fit a whole 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the box, but it is nearly as big;
Granted the fleet side does lose some width from the wheel wells, but there is still ALOT more useable space.

* = at the time I wrote off being able to get my grandfathers truck, which was owned by my cousin.

Very good info on the differences.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted this before - some plywood like 4X8 melamine and pre-finished plywood is actually bigger than 48X96" - they're closer to 49X97" and won't fit in the bed of my pickup. That's why I modified a trailer to accommodate the plywood and 12' boards. Then I just back the trailer into my shop and unhook from it so I don't have to unload and move the lumber twice:biggrin:
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My stepside will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor if I drop the tailgate. Monday I loaded up a washer and dryer and dragged them across town. A couple days ago I used it to drag a couple doors home from the junkyard. I think the 'extra capacity' of fleetsides is overrated. Do I need an extra 8" of width? Not really, and I like having a box that doesn't have wheel wells intruding into it.

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only issue with a stepside for me is finding a toolbox to fit. I don´t haul much but whatever I do haul fits in the bed.