stepside vs fleet side short box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am still debating. i am leaning toward a fleet side short box.
i sold a 87 silverado short box fleet side last year , real niice shape.
now i think i want a 88-98 model. not real fond of a
stepside.
For 90% of the time I want a step side. The other 10% I want an overgrown step side aka long bed dually. I have both.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
step side trucks do look pretty good, it just depends on how much youll be using the truck. I had a 92 ext cab stepside truck for 3 months got a job done and then swapped it over to a fleetside, I do miss the look but it worked out better for me in the end, however I do wish I had that step side box still because im looking for one for my Single cab short box

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
both are desireable trucks;
The key being short box, as most regular cab were the 8 foot box and the short (6') box was normally relegated to trucks with the extended cab.
I used to prefer the looks of the step side, but I have changed so that when I started casually looking for a possible truck* I was only interested in a fleetside;
I find that the fleet side is a nice balance of practicality and styling.
Sure I cannot fit a whole 4x8 sheet of plywood inside the box, but it is nearly as big;
To compare (if I got a correct source here):
88-98 short box fleet side inside measurements = 69-3/4" wide x 77" long
88-98 short box step side inside measurements = 56-1/2 wide x 77-1/4" long
Granted the fleet side does lose some width from the wheel wells, but there is still ALOT more useable space.

* = at the time I wrote off being able to get my grandfathers truck, which was owned by my cousin.