Stepside Bed Rail Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I promise this will be the last pic of the rebuilt bed... Here it is totally finished. All that's left to do is put her back on the chassis

You must be registered for see images attach
Killed job man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Can't wait to see to see the truck all put together!

I'm in the final assembly right now... bed will be going back on this week... I have finished installing door glass and interior etc... I'm in the home stretch...

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great work!!

The other side is under the knife.. for some reason.. not quite as bad as the other side.. though it has its challenges..
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbor was just telling me today it’s common for passenger sides having more rust. Possibly since it’s closer to the street gutters. Sounded plausible to me.

ddaxe

Reaction score
Great work!!

My neighbor was just telling me today it’s common for passenger sides having more rust. Possibly since it’s closer to the street gutters. Sounded plausible to me.

Tks.. here in the rust belt.. they pour the salt in the middle of the 2 lane roads in winter... usually the drivers side is worse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S1I2F3

Reaction score
I know I’m reviving an old thread, but incredible work.

I do have a question for the OP - you mentioned the stepside rails were 1/2” wider than the fleet side rails, or is it the other way around?

I have a ‘90 stepside, and I’m looking for plastic bed rail caps/covers, and was hoping I might be able to just get fleetside covers and trim to fit, but if the width is that far off it might be a no-go.

Anyway, love your truck!

ddaxe

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.. appreciate it ... the Step Side rails were just a bit wider.. maybe not quite 1/2 inch. but it's not too far from it.. if you decide to graft fleet side rails.. be sure to leave some of your original SS rail .. you can always trim to fit.. (is exactly what I did) until you are comfortable with how much meat you will have to weld the donor pieces in.. I have a set of aluminum rails that bolt to the bed rails.. I'm kind of undecided if I want to install them.. if I think about it.. I'll snap a pic of them I believe they would of fit Fleet or Step side beds.. I don't believe the difference would stop you from installing them... Cheers..