Stepside Bed Rail Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Lol great reply. It is appreciated! I was just trying to avoid having to cut it out lol owell I'll just deal with it.

With some time & patience.. you can do a nice job.. and save your bed from rusting further... good luck....

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The repurposed rails that were cut from a fleet side bed ... I've separated the inside rail from the outer... after drilling about 30 spot welds in each.. they come apart pretty easy... they should do the trick with a bit of modifying...

You must be registered for see images attach
Curious.. how did you get the bolts out on the underside of the bed rail? Mine keep breaking loose then they just spin. I'm trying to take off the boxside for smc repairs

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I just removed my driver's side step panel and it's terrible rusted pretty bad and lots of cracking on the actual step of the smc panel. I'm feeling overwhelmed and not sure what to do. I don't want to purchase a bead roller or any of that. Can you point me in a direction?? Desperately lol

ddaxe

Reaction score
Curious.. how did you get the bolts out on the underside of the bed rail? Mine keep breaking loose then they just spin. I'm trying to take off the boxside for smc repairs

I cut them out... when I replaced the rails.. I fit them on.. put the fender back and drilled holes in line with the holes... I welded bolts into those holes that now can be tightened from underneath ... hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddaxe

Reaction score
Man I just removed my driver's side step panel and it's terrible rusted pretty bad and lots of cracking on the actual step of the smc panel. I'm feeling overwhelmed and not sure what to do. I don't want to purchase a bead roller or any of that. Can you point me in a direction?? Desperately lol

you can use an epoxy to get the smc fender sturdy again... as for the flat part of the metal rail (underside) you could graft in a piece of flat metal... welding it to good metal.. just an idea

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut them out... when I replaced the rails.. I fit them on.. put the fender back and drilled holes in line with the holes... I welded bolts into those holes that now can be tightened from underneath ... hope this helps

I'm thinking I'm gonna do that exact same thing and drop bolts thru and weld them in

ddaxe

Reaction score
This is the last of the fixes I had to do to the Stepside bed I couldn't do because the pieces I wanted to cut from the same bed as the rails were under 3 ft of snow.. So I had to wait until I could access it. The pics show front crosser & floor section being replaced and a section in the rear. With these fixes .. there is no more rust or issues with the bed... it was a lot of work... but I know what I have

This is the Fleetside bed that gave it's all... the one I took the rails from

I reduced it down to the floor using my plasma cutter

The front of the bed floor was rotted bad

I cut the front floor section I needed from the old FS bed

I grafted in the repurposed piece which made it solid again

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
There was an issue with the floor in the back by the tail gate. It had to be fixed as well. So I cut a piece from the back of the floor to replace that area

I discovered rust in the back crosser... so I cut that out as well and replaced a section of that too

No more rust...

Here's the end result.... good as new... my bed repairs are all done.. except paint

ddaxe

Reaction score
I promise this will be the last pic of the rebuilt bed... Here it is totally finished. All that's left to do is put her back on the chassis

Last edited: