Steps to Replacing Rear Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seger

Reaction score
I will be replacing the Rear Bumper on my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Extended Cab Fleetside soon. Can someone provide me with the Steps, Tools, and Sizes of Tools needed to complete the Job?

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear bumper is held on by 4 18mm bolts that go directly to the frame rail, as well as 2 support braces that branch out from the frame to the corners of the bumper. All the Bolts you'll be removing are 18mm, I recommend taking off the support brackets first, that way you'll be able to get an impact onto the main bolts on the frame. To do the job you'll need 18mm sockets (deep/shallow) an 18mm wrench and I believe I used a Universal joint and a 3in extension.

Also the tag light harness has a weather-pack connector you can disconnect and remove the entire harness with the bumper.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this not too long ago, and Fuzzy is correct on the 18 mm socket requirement. Why GM chose this is beyond me, as practically every metric set sold comes with a 17 mm and a 19 mm, but no 18 mm. I did put PB Blaster on the threads a day or two before I went at it, but with a half-inch drive ratchet, they all came off fairly easily. As it happens, I have three sets of British Whitworth sockets, and one of them is an exact match for 18 mm, so I wasted my money on the socket.

The worst part is the weight of the bumper once it is ready to come off.