Step Notch Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has probably asked a million times and beat to death but this is my first bag job and want to make sure I'm not redoing it at any point. Just wondering where people center the step notch with a bag over axle parrellel 4 link setup? Is it better to center it when the truck is layed out or when at ride height and what's harder on the bag, not lined up when compressed or lined up when compressed?

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Center the notch over the axle when it's compressed/laid out, since that's where you're actually going to need the clearance.

Bags can typically handle more misalignment when they are full than when they are compressed. If your 4 link arms are long enough, there shouldn't be that much of an arc really. Most of the projects I've worked on split the difference between location laid out and at full height, but they also didn't fully flatten the bags.

Shane_o_mac

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my research you should setup everything based off half the travel of the suspension movement.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I ended up setting it centered when layed out and seems to be good, I probably could have split the difference between the two and got away with it as you said gearheadE30, next one I do I'll probably do that way.