Steering Wheel Upside Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so after counting the turns to full lock it is pretty close I'd say off by less than 1/4 off a turn with more turning to the left than the right which should've figgered right has always had some slop to it but so did my last gmt400 so figured that just how they are
Actually, another possibility is somebody replaced the Pitman arm with one that does not have the slot to correctly index it, and got it wrong--I have seen el cheapo Pitman arms without the slot.

Or......Conspiracy Theory #3........somebody did a really crappy driveway alignment........

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if the *** joint was replaced supposedly truck hit a deer or smth is its past. I find I can slide that plastic shroud up not much but just enough to see the rag joint. Now I'm a bit confused b/c at first, you say the factory rag join is riveted but then you mention bolts on it. As far as mine goes it appears to be riveted.
The factory rag joint has rivets, the aftermarket has bolts.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you look at the link I provided? The factory has four rivets, the aftermarket has two rivets and two bolts and every Lares I've seen has gold anodizing.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I replaced mine, I didnt use the rivets that came in the kit. I used grade 8 3/8 bolts instead. I did have to cut off the excess sticking out for clearance. Between that and some lock washers on the bolts I should not have and have not had any issues.

Attachments

• 20210619_171139.jpg
    20210619_171139.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160116_143453.jpg
    20160116_143453.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 9

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, another possibility is somebody replaced the Pitman arm with one that does not have the slot to correctly index it, and got it wrong--I have seen el cheapo Pitman arms without the slot.

Or......Conspiracy Theory #3........somebody did a really crappy driveway alignment........
None of the above. I put the pitman on and recall it having an index as for alignments I've taken it to a shop to get it aligned like 3 times

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock, and then going half-way in between, is the START of finding center-point on the gear. If the vehicle alignment is far enough off, you'll get a false result if the wheels hit the frame, control arm, or whatever before the steering gear gets to the true end-of-travel position.

You need to verify that the stub shaft--the shaft that the rag joint bolts to--has the flat on the shaft facing upward, parallel with the top cover. (GM calls it the "side cover", but it's on the top surface of the gear when installed in the vehicle.) Meanwhile, the Master Spline on the Pitman shaft is in-line with the adjuster screw on the top cover. You need BOTH to be in proper position, or the steering gear is built improperly.

Diagram for this is in the service manual. On my '97 C/K manual, text is on page 3B1A-4, and the diagrams are on the next page, 3B1A-5.

The center-point of the steering gear is the tightest, least-free-play point of the gear. If the vehicle is going straight down the road, the gear MUST be on the center point, or the steering feels "sloppy". This is really easy to get wrong, if the tie rod ends aren't adjusted properly, or if the gear is built wrong. (Lots of complaints about "sloppy" steering...)

If this vehicle has been "aligned" multiple times, and the morons allowed it out-the-door with the steering wheel upside-down, YOU NEED A DIFFERENT ALIGNMENT SHOP.

Last edited:

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock, and then going half-way in between, is the START of finding center-point on the gear. If the vehicle alignment is far enough off, you'll get a false result if the wheels hit the frame, control arm, or whatever before the steering gear gets to the true end-of-travel position.

You need to verify that the stub shaft--the shaft that the rag joint bolts to--has the flat on the shaft facing upward, parallel with the top cover. Meanwhile, the Master Spline on the Pitman shaft is in-line with the adjuster screw on the top cover. You need BOTH to be in proper position, or the steering gear is built improperly.

Diagram for this is in the service manual. On my '97 C/K manual, text is on page 3B1A-4, and the diagrams are on the next page, 3B1A-5.

If this vehicle has been "aligned" multiple times, and the morons allowed it out-the-door with the steering wheel upside-down, YOU NEED A DIFFERENT ALIGNMENT SHOP.
As I said I did go lock to lock found it was about 1 and 3/4 turns to the left and 1 and just a bit past half to right. The diagram appears to be missing. As far as the shop goes it's one that a family member works at I think for the most part I told them to just align it with the wheel upside down. One time I did ask if they could try to get the wheel correct but they couldn't but can't complain too much I do get them for free (as it is the family member doing the alignment) now if I was paying yea I would be mad

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the shop goes it's one that a family member works at I think for the most part I told them to just align it with the wheel upside down. One time I did ask if they could try to get the wheel correct but they couldn't
It's hard to "upgrade" your family.

You'll be a hero if you can figure out what they couldn't. Or they'll hate you for showing them up for being incompetent. One or the other...

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to "upgrade" your family.

You'll be a hero if you can figure out what they couldn't. Or they'll hate you for showing them up for being incompetent. One or the other...
Like I said can't complain too much when it's being done free in spare time.