Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I recntly bought a 91 Dually and I want to swap out the steering wheel with a Grant steering wheel

You must be registered for see images attach

from my understanding I need to get an adapter to mount it to the truck, Does anyone know what adapter is needed? and do I need another kit to make the horn work? I get conflicting answers, searching the net.

thanks

D'

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Which adapter depends on which wheel you choose; not all the Grants can use the same kits.

The wheel in the picture you posted - that's the one you want? Challenger series #414. According to Grant this works with their 3000 or 4000 series installation kits. Using Summit's search and narrowing it down by application, looks like #3196 is the one you need, but you should be sure (maybe call Grant) before ordering.

The kit comes with the horn stub wire, the little pieces you need to make the horn work. Wheel will come with a button.

That wheel is one of the styles that can't be used with the billet hub kit they offer. The 3196 looks fine, at least it's metal; I chose the billet kit for mine because otherwise it's just a cheesy rubber accordion thing covering a sheetmetal bracket.

Richard

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well just a thought but........ you could always look on the grant web site...... but yes I think the 3196 was the correct adapter if my memory serves me right......

sent from what use to be a great nation...

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
thanks for helping out. Ill call monday to verify. I wasnt sure if it was 5196 or 3196. Im not dead set on the grant, im trying to findout if I can get a chevy horn button instead of the GT button, I also found this steering wheel, the only thing that sucks is its not fully wrapped in leather, the back part of it is plastic, I dont know if i could live with that.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes last I knew and saw in one of grants catalogs you can get z chevy horn Norton for it..

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe that wheel has any plastic on it at all. It should be a billet wheel and, yes it is half wrapped. The back side is aluminum-in this case anodized black aluminum. I don't like that any better than the feel of plastic....

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Yes last I knew and saw in one of grants catalogs you can get z chevy horn Norton for it..

Hope fully I still can.

I don't believe that wheel has any plastic on it at all. It should be a billet wheel and, yes it is half wrapped. The back side is aluminum-in this case anodized black aluminum. I don't like that any better than the feel of plastic....

your probably right, I was told it was plastic, but reading the description again, I think the guy who told me thought it was plastic, Either way its a deal breaker.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Grant Signature series are full wrap leather with billet spokes, and you can get a Chevy horn button, as well as the billet hub kit. They have a bunch of different styles in this series. I put the optional smooth billet button on mine to replace the black plastic "Grant" logo button.

By the way the Grant 414 you originally posted is not a leather wheel. It's foam rubber with a vinyl coating; one of the cheaper wheels. I don't think they hold up nearly as well as the leather.

Richard