Steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv been kind of chasing this issue for a while now and it is way better than it was but still not right.

While chasing this issue I have done the fallowing

New tierod ends
Inner tie rods
Ball joints
2 power steering gear boxes
Sway bar links
Idler arm (not bracket)
Intermediat shaft
Power steering pump (no evo)
Shocks
Control arm bushings
Sway bar bushings
Hubs on both sides
3 alignments
2 pitman arms

Pretty much the whole front end has been gone through within a couple years. Not every thing was done trying to fix steering but I figured I’d mention them since they are in the area.

The latest things I did were ball joints, steering box, ps pump, hubs, shocks, pitman arm.

It drives about 20x better than it did. But now my issue is that the road seems to affect it a lot more. It really likes to fallow the grooves of the road. However on 50% of my commute to work it wanders very little I can even let go of the wheel. The other 50% I’m running a lumber mill keeping it straight going down the road.

I get that the road will influence steering but it’s not that bad in my dads k2500 or my wife’s Jeep.

2 things I can think of left that hasn’t been touched is the idler arm bracket. I should of did it with the arm and I honestly couldn’t tell you why I didn’t.... but could this affect the steering this way?

And 2. Maybe it’s alligned a little goofy? I asked the shop on 2 alignments to give me a print out with the measurements on it but their printer didn’t “work”

Any other ideas? Comments? Experiences?

I really want to get it solved so I can move on to a 411 swap

Thanks!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd replace the idler arm and then take it to a different shop for an alignment. Tell them up front what the issue is and your expectations. If they aren't confident they can find the problem, find another shop. Most shops have a kid straight out of high school running an alignment machine, relying on some numbers to straighten out a perfect-condition system. You want a shop where the guy know suspensions well enough to actually diagnose problems.

UglyTruck

Reaction score
If all of the components you replaced are still in good working order, I would look at the rag joint as b454 said. There are upgrades to the rag joint- although I kept mine with the original design and replaced the worn out one with a stock replacement.

Also the steering box if you have replaced it with a crappy parts store part.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 and 97 K1500’s

When it comes to following ruts in the pavement......

I have found:
-Idler arm bracket can make a difference.
-Not all ball joints are created the same—my Moog ball joints didn’t help as far as steering goes AND wore out prematurely. Subsequently talking to a few others and reading on the internet Moog BJ’s are rather hit and miss. My Moog steering parts are holding up fine. Proforged uppers and Mevotech TX lowers improved steering feel more than anything else I have done to my 96. I wish I had installed Mevotech TX uppers, and I might still do that to see if it helps even more.
—Different brands/quality of tires can make a difference.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Steering wheel wander or actual track tracking all over the road?

Anyone said tires yet? Generally depending on road condition style and manufacture, tires can have a huge impact on the truck feeling grabby or wandering.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Also, what are your current alignment specs? Most of the techs turn the wrench until it turns green, doesn't mean both sides are on the same end of spec.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rag joints been replaced.

I cannot find any loose components with one tire in the air, both tires in the air, or having someone steer back and forth while watching everything work either.

It’s very influenced by the shape/ruts of the road. The steering wheel stays straight but the truck does not. So to keep straight the wheel is crooked.now that being said a lot of the road on my daily commute I could straighten the wheel and let go and it would go straight down the road.

I used Moog ball joints last month when I redid a lot of that stuff

The tires are Goodyear wrangler Duratracs. They have been on for a while and have probably about a year left in them.

I wish I knew my alignment specs but their printer was broken both times they alligned it. I think the next alignment will be done by a different shop

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I will say I don't care for the Duratracs especially in the rain. Also in my experience, tires can be "done" way before you're down to the wear bars. Especially if they are both old and worn.

Get some decent HTs on there and would put a bill on that being your "problem" MTs or even aggressive ATs are all your problems when it comes to noise and road manners most the time.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I will say I don't care for the Duratracs especially in the rain. Also in my experience, tires can be "done" way before you're down to the wear bars. Especially if they are both old and worn.

Get some decent HTs on there and would put a bill on that being your "problem" MTs or even aggressive ATs are all your problems when it comes to noise and road manners most the time.

I wouldn't go that far. My Duratracs generally behave with a good alignment and they're damn quiet if you keep the alignment in order. Brand New they can wander a bit with the tall, mushy tread blocks but when evenly worn they're solid.