Steering shaft slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The XJ can be used in a '97+ as long as it's supported with a Heim such as this...

You must be registered for see images

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks all... I have a Lares 205 waiting to be installed. If that doesn’t solve it I’m going to go with a Borgeson. Not rolling the dice on another rusty Jeep shaft.

Hopefully the play in the upper joint is not an issue.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flaming River FR1746DD Billet-Joint 1"-DD X 3/4"-30 Steering U-Joint is what I used on my 1998. I bought it via Amazon.

Borgeson 015231 1" DD x 3/4"-30 Steering U-Joint appears to be similar, for less cost.

Check the usual places for pricing.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the steering shaft today. The upper joint was tight, only reason it was moving was the original rag joint was hosed. Installed the new Lares 205 coupler. Haven’t tested it yet as my starter lost a bolt because the previous owner was a hack and didn’t know what he was doing.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does the DD in 1" DD stand for? I ASSume Dxxx diameter.

double D is the shape of the shaft. Sorta like an oval with two flats, it is not a splined shaft.

3/4 -30 would be a splined shaft 3/4" dia. with 30 splines.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 and Im running a custom made U joint shaft from Derek Micheal. Not sure of his screen name here. It was a drop in and go shaft and works perfect. I am also running a Redhead steering box and my steering feels tight. Truck drives near perfect and it has a 6" lift with 20x9 wheels with a -24mm offset.

He sells these shafts to the community. He has a Facebook page called Dereks Steering Shafts.

Last edited: