Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrx1021

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here.

I was hoping to get your opinions on additional work I should complete, or parts I should upgrade/replace while doing the following repairs:

Steering:
Inner Tie Rod Replacement - Both
Idler + Pitman Arm and Gussets Replacement
Steering Gear Box Replacement

Engine Oil Leak:
Oil Pan Gasket
Valve Cover Gaskets

Also, any recommendations for what parts I should use? I was planning ordering the "Premium" options from rock auto.

Thank you

1997 Chevrolet C1500 - Extended Cab
All stock except:
Belltech Flip Kit
DJM Spindles with Belltech Shocks
Trimmed lower control arms
15" x 8" stock chevy wheels

Attachments

• 20220217_163255.jpg
    20220217_163255.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 3

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering:
Inner Tie Rod Replacement - Both
Idler + Pitman Arm and Gussets Replacement
Steering Gear Box Replacement
When I started working on my front end, I found a lot more was wore out than I expected. Right now your plan consists of taking it about 1/3 the way apart. I would at least include outer tie rod ends - unless they're already new. Sway bar bushings and end link bushings aren't much more work and probably need replacing. Wheel bearings and seals are also a consideration.

If you're willing to take it all the way apart, I'd also do the ball joints, control arm bushings, springs, shocks, and new engine mounts if your old ones are shot.

Engine Oil Leak:
Oil Pan Gasket
Valve Cover Gaskets
I've rarely seen a leaking engine that didn't have a rear main seal leak. Probably a crank seal as well, but honestly, if I'm going to do that much work, I'm likely to rebuild the motor. Then again, pulling the engine on a Vortec takes about twice the time of a TBI.