Steering Pump Bleed Procedure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the procedure from the service manual and blew out the bottom seal in the gearbox I rebuilt. Don't trust the manual.

The Redhead procedure they send with their gearbox has you turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock about twenty times before ever starting the engine. That's very important.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the procedure from the service manual and blew out the bottom seal in the gearbox I rebuilt. Don't trust the manual.

The Redhead procedure they send with their gearbox has you turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock about twenty times before ever starting the engine. That's very important.
First I've heard of anyone having a problem with that procedure - better safe than sorry though!

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not go more than about 5 times lock to lock. Recheck the level and 5 times lock to lock. Once it stops drinking fluid from the reservoir, I fire it up let it run 30 seconds or so. Shut it off, recheck the level. Then fire it up and spin it lock to lock a few times. Then check the level again. Add as needed. The system will continue to purge any remaining air out of it for the next 10 to 100 miles and I check the level a few more times during that period. I have never had an issue doing it in this manner and I have worked on more than a few of these. My vans steering system was essentially dry when I put fluid in it and it is a hydroboost system. This method works on conventional and hydroboost systems. I do not see the need to wait overnight or for hours provided you keep fluid in the reservoir. The air is going to work its way out.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp, turned out the pitman seal in my recently rebuilt Bluetop gearbox was the culprit. This will be the 5th time I yank out the gear in 3 years! I bet this is what got the old pump low on fluid and caused it to fail.