Steering play c2500 gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys just put in a new steering box and coupler hoping to get rid of steering play it’s still there how can I get tight steering again as I replace pitman idler and Center link and I still have play??? I’m lost I’m thinking it’s the column

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as you've verified theres no intermediate shaft, rag joint, linkage or ball joint play, have you tried adjusting the lash in the gearbox itself?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Main thing is to find where play is coming from. With a helper at the wheel, observe for any extra movement

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new steering box

have you tried adjusting the lash in the gearbox itself?
Mass-market steering gears are a total crap-shoot. There's TWO adjustments, most folks only dick with one, and that's the second adjustment to be done. They have no idea about the first adjustment, which is the more-difficult one.

Main thing is to find where play is coming from. With a helper at the wheel, observe for any extra movement
Absolutely correct.

There's three dozen possibilities, about half of which would be "common" wear items like ball joints (4), tie rod ends (4), idler arm, pitman arm, control arm bushings (8), rag joint, wheel bearings, and the list goes on.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mass-market steering gears are a total crap-shoot. There's TWO adjustments, most folks only dick with one, and that's the second adjustment to be done. They have no idea about the first adjustment, which is the more-difficult one.

Absolutely correct.

There's three dozen possibilities, about half of which would be "common" wear items like ball joints (4), tie rod ends (4), idler arm, pitman arm, control arm bushings (8), rag joint, wheel bearings, and the list goes on.
I’ve replace everything you said and I still have play in the wheel only thing I did not replace is the steering shaft but my friend who is a certified mechanic says to just adjust the steering box after it is more broken in

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve replace everything you said and I still have play in the wheel only thing I did not replace is the steering shaft but my friend who is a certified mechanic says to just adjust the steering box after it is more broken in
I would do a close inspection to verify if the play is in a steering box or elsewhere before adjusting.