Steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5Star

Reaction score
My steering box is worn out. Before I buy a new steering box does anyone know if there is a rack & pinion conversion kit available for my 1990 C1500 2 wheel drive ?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My steering box is worn out. Before I buy a new steering box does anyone know if there is a rack & pinion conversion kit available for my 1990 C1500 2 wheel drive ?
What makes you think your steering box is worn out? Slack? If so, have you replaced the rag joint? Dont make the same mistake as I did. I replaced my steering box after my wife would not shut the hell up about the loose steering. Im on my 4th box. The reman boxes are junk. All I needed to do, was to replace my rag joint. I figured it out after the 1st steering box didnt fix the issue.

5Star

Reaction score
Yes, I have checked that option. They say it would not be a direct bolt in and therefore is not recommended.

5Star

Reaction score
What makes you think your steering box is worn out? Slack? If so, have you replaced the rag joint? Dont make the same mistake as I did. I replaced my steering box after my wife would not shut the hell up about the loose steering. Im on my 4th box. The reman boxes are junk. All I needed to do, was to replace my rag joint. I figured it out after the 1st steering box didnt fix the issue.
Yes, my rag joint was worn. I did replace the shaft with a new GM unit. The new shaft came with a u-joint in place of the rag joint. I then found the new shaft unit had play in the top ball socket joint. I have installed a new borguson unit with u-joint on both ends. Much better but not perfect.

5Star

Reaction score
Yes, my rag joint was worn. I did replace the shaft with a new GM unit. The new shaft came with a u-joint in place of the rag joint. I then found the new shaft unit had play in the top ball socket joint. I have installed a new borguson unit with u-joint on both ends. Much better but not perfect.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nice, perfect. Thank you ! Do you know of anyone that has installed one of these units ?

The owner of Elevated Concepts had the intial set-up on his test mule for R&D. It was 18 months of testing before he settled on the final design & was satisfied that it was viable as a kit. He's since sold that truck's frame & is building a complete chassis for the truck which will include all the rest of the suspension components he's designed. He's strictly GMT400.