Steering gearbox replacement/rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I have a ton of play in my steering gearbox and it's not the rag joint. I put in a new rag joint a while back but you can definitely still see play in the gearbox. After I did the ball joints a couple years ago the shop had some difficulty aligning it because of the shop in the gearbox. Also have a mystery ps fluid leak.

As she's aged the steering on this 99 Suburban 2wd has gotten stranger (loose and way over boosted).

Anyhow I'm familiar with the electronic speed sensitive steering and thankfully this truck never does any sudden odd twitches, it's always as smooth as glass (too smooth honestly). It's just 100% boost all the time.

I'm tempted to go try to rob parts off a 96 model at the boneyard or get new ones off Rock Auto, I've read that they don't have the speed sensitive ps pump and the gearbox is a better ratio (less "boosted" feeling).

Anyone successful in getting firmer steering on these late 90's models?

What bugs me is that I used to have another 99 Suburban alongside this one that was a 4wd and the steering in it was pretty good. I didn't see anything different on it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 96 K1500 is tight, zero play and definitely firm. I did a front end build this past year and also used Cognito braces and SuperSteer Idler bracket. This was done with about 65k on truck, so original steering box is still in great shape. So, to answer your question, tight, firm steering is attainable.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the box and pump on my 98 C1500. Deleted the EVO from the pump using the Dorman fitting. The steering WAS tight but overboosted, with the occasional freak-out moments of severe overboost at highway speeds. It's now tighter with a firm, weighty feel at low speeds.

The slop you describe can be corrected by adjusting the gear preload on the box. This will also change the "on-center" feel and steering effort of the box. All it really takes is a beam-style inlb torque wrench, with the box off the truck and mounted in a vice. I would highly recommend cleaning and resealing the box prior to making adjustments, to make sure that the internals aren't damaged.

redfishsc

Reaction score
I'm tempted to spend the money on a Redhead quick ratio box. That's a lot of cash but apparently it really helps regain the feel of the road. My wife drives this old Sub and honestly it's a tricky beast to drive even for me.

I may decide to rebuild the box but not sure if the gears are worn out or not.

Reaction score
I'm on my second Redhead (non quick ratio) on my k1500. Can't say I recommend them at all. First one was defective and outright dangerous. Pulled it immediately and Redhead gave me a huge hassle about getting a replacement. They finally sent another one that was better but has always been somewhat sloppy. It's lasted about 15k miles now and I'm ready to yank it too. None of these parts companies seem to be taking pride in their work these days.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would adjust the existing box, and see what happens. Costs nothing but your labor; and really, you shouldn't have to remove the box. You'd have to disconnect the steering column shaft, though. If you adjust the existing box and you like the result, you're done and saved a heap of money. If not, you're not out anything but time and effort.

There are TWO adjustments, and the easy one that everyone dic_ks with, is the SECOND adjustment after you perform the inconvenient adjustment.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the box and pump on my 98 C1500. Deleted the EVO from the pump using the Dorman fitting. The steering WAS tight but overboosted, with the occasional freak-out moments of severe overboost at highway speeds. It's now tighter with a firm, weighty feel at low speeds.

The slop you describe can be corrected by adjusting the gear preload on the box. This will also change the "on-center" feel and steering effort of the box. All it really takes is a beam-style inlb torque wrench, with the box off the truck and mounted in a vice. I would highly recommend cleaning and resealing the box prior to making adjustments, to make sure that the internals aren't damaged.
SAATR my evo ps pump just went out and I don't now much about vehicles. Iv gone back and forth to the parts store and they have no clue about what I'm telling them about the Evo.. Whsts my best rout of tacking on this and how should I proceed with replacing the pump I don't want to lose or worsen the steering issue is there a way to upgrade im list and don't know whst to do this is my only vehicle and it's been out of commission for almost 2 weeks now and I don't know how to proceed with fixing the power steering box or the power steering pump I mean

redfishsc

Reaction score
I would adjust the existing box, and see what happens. Costs nothing but your labor; and really, you shouldn't have to remove the box. You'd have to disconnect the steering column shaft, though. If you adjust the existing box and you like the result, you're done and saved a heap of money. If not, you're not out anything but time and effort.

There are TWO adjustments, and the easy one that everyone dic_ks with, is the SECOND adjustment after you perform the inconvenient adjustment.

Well, after reading what GeorgiaMtnClimber just said, I probably will.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAATR my evo ps pump just went out and I don't now much about vehicles. Iv gone back and forth to the parts store and they have no clue about what I'm telling them about the Evo.. Whsts my best rout of tacking on this and how should I proceed with replacing the pump I don't want to lose or worsen the steering issue is there a way to upgrade im list and don't know whst to do this is my only vehicle and it's been out of commission for almost 2 weeks now and I don't know how to proceed with fixing the power steering box or the power steering pump I mean

If you don't know much about vehicles, them you probably won't want to try rebuilding your own pump as I did. You have a couple of options to replace the pump and get rid of the EVO system:

1. Buy a pump and power steering pressure hose for the '96 version of your truck, which shouldn't have EVO. That will effectively convert the truck to non-EVO.

2. Buy the correct pump for your year truck, and install this EVO eliminator from Dorman:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can use your original PS pressure hose with this fitting.

Having said that, how do you know that the pump is dead?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading what GeorgiaMtnClimber just said, I probably will.
I would first do as Schurkey recommends. Then I would probably go this route:
Apparently, these guys(some), worked in Saginaw plant and now have this operation going. They do a rebuild of your original for $400.00. Yes, pricey, but I’d be more comfortable with that than a Redhead or BlueTop.
Edit: I found this link in a post from 1998_K1500_Sub

Last edited: