Steering Column Conundrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melothegoat

Reaction score
I have installed a 96 Vortec in my 92 Sierra. This has become the worst mistake I have committed on my rebuild of this truck. I had to replace everything electronically. I also had to replace the steering column since everything to do with wires in that truck is now completely different from its original. I basically screwed the whole truck up so that it can function with its new engine. Also the transmission I have is a 700R4 so that's another issue with the new wiring setup in my truck. I want some advice, is this still saveable? Iam thinking of just getting a engine from a 92 or similar and getting a wiring harness to match it. Maybe I should just stay the course and basically have most of the truck 96 or newer except the chassis and frame. I would like suggestions and advice on how to deal with this.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did my TBI to Vortec swap I took most everything with it.

Andy’s 1995 CCLB 7.4L TBI to Vortec Swap
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...B-7.4L-TBI-to-Vortec-Swap.45295/&share_type=t

For you I suggest sticking with the 92 TBI and all the associated wiring and just swapping the intake manifold with one from Edelbrock. There’s a bunch of info out there on doing so. The biggest hangup is the EGR valve, but it’s very doable.