Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was my experience as well. I have two 98 4x4 models both with functioning EVO, one is a truck and the other a Tahoe. I have a Blue Top brand in my Tahoe and it’s a heavier feel that is so much better than the stock one in my truck. The Blue Top that I have is the 96 and under style.

The external difference seems to be at the steering shaft connection. The earlier ones have a c-clip and larger opening.

96-under

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
You have the 96 steering box but a 97+ pump?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn’t realize it at the time, but yes that’s what it ended up being. Blue Top didn’t differentiate between an 88-96 or 97-99 and the one they sent looks like the earlier version.

When I swap the one in my 98 truck, I’ll ask Bluetop to make sure that is the older one.

I’ll be interested in seeing how the earlier box behaves with the non-EVO pump. I’ve read where some 88-96 people say that the difference is noticeable, that the earlier trucks weren’t as loose feeling in comparison. But I don’t know for sure; I’ve never driven a 96 or under to compare.

I think it’s strange that GM’s EVO “bypass kit” instructions don’t mention swapping gear boxes. Maybe the 97 gearbox change wasn’t done solely to accommodate EVO...or GM figured that it was all out of factory warranty anyways and was a good enough fix to avoid any legal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn’t realize it at the time, but yes that’s what it ended up being. Blue Top didn’t differentiate between an 88-96 or 97-99 and the one they sent looks like the earlier version.

When I swap the one in my 98 truck, I’ll ask Bluetop to make sure that is the older one.

I’ll be interested in seeing how the earlier box behaves with the non-EVO pump. I’ve read where some 88-96 people say that the difference is noticeable, that the earlier trucks weren’t as loose feeling in comparison. But I don’t know for sure; I’ve never driven a 96 or under to compare.

I think it’s strange that GM’s EVO “bypass kit” instructions don’t mention swapping gear boxes. Maybe the 97 gearbox change wasn’t done solely to accommodate EVO...or GM figured that it was all out of factory warranty anyways and was a good enough fix to avoid any legal issues.

I have a 94 and a 98. The 98 is great in the parking lot but the 94 is better on the highway. I wish I could get steering somewhere in between, was thinking of just using an EVO delete, but also considered the older gearbox with the delete. Sounds to me like that is the answer....maybe.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. That pretty much describes my two 98s now.

The Tahoe (older design box) is better when driving at speeds, but I prefer the lighter feel of the truck (new style box) in parking and when turning across traffic from a stop. You can quickly one-hand the wheel in the truck to make a quick turn, but it’s pretty light once you get moving.

I’d take the heavier feel of the older design, though, as it seems a better balance overall.

I’m not sure what the EVO is adding when using the old style box. I never could get a new pump (with EVO delete) to hold fluid long enough to test it on the road. I think I was pulling the second “new” pump when the pulley flange broke. I just swapped in a pump with bracket from a 99 Yukon and called it a day.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe 2dr 2wd, I recently rebuilt the entire front suspension using all Moog parts with polyurethane bushings. Checked around on the prices of a quick ratio gearbox and thought everybody wanted more than I wanted to spend so I ended up going with an 1988 C1500 454SS gearbox from the local parts store. The 1st gearbox felt like the old school days before power steering a real MF trying to turn the wheel in either direction. So I took it to a buddy of mine for a front end alignment (his shop has been in business for over 50 years and all they do is alignments) because I was in need of an alignment after the rebuild anyway and we ended up swapping the gearbox out for different 1988 C1500 454SS gearbox. The second gearbox works without a hitch wherever I'm at parking lot or highway, turns on a dime and if you move the wheel a fraction of an inch it's changing directions!

Been driving it with this set up for well over a year and no problems!

bluetahoe

Reaction score
An older thread but I thought worth posting. I bought a Red Head today. Tried 3 other remans--just don't work right. They are making it with a medium stiffness so that it will work with evo and non-evo power steering. I have evo in my 97 Tahoe but am looking at deleting it if I have problems. So, this way Red Head has me covered. Evo and non-evo gear boxes are different.

Should have installed by next week and will let you guys know how it goes.

Richard