Steering box need replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a nasty psteering leak on my 6.5 4x4 so bad i cant drive it... its not my daily though. its leaking at the pitman arm seal... being as its not my DD im wondering what to do. a new pump plus pitman arm shipped is around 255 off rock auto. dont really want that. i can get a used from a wrecker for 125 and do it myself. but if i can just replace the seal that sounds enticing too. box leaks no where else... what to do?

You must be registered for see images attach

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's leaking around the pitman arm seal, why are you wanting to replace the pump?

Didnt want too, thats why i asked if it was worth just replcing the pit man arm seal... i got the box out now after an hour of working on it so i gotta decide what to do

order a new one
replace pitman arm seal if its worth it
or get a junkyard box

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
You can replace the seal. Easier job if you pull the steering box off the truck.

When i had this exact problem, i pulled the steering box, took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it with all new seals and bearings. Fixed everything, still original box, glad i did it.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can replace the seal. Easier job if you pull the steering box off the truck.

When i had this exact problem, i pulled the steering box, took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it with all new seals and bearings. Fixed everything, still original box, glad i did it.
Cool! just had to run and grab a picklefork but now back to the garage and itll come out have everything else out and disconnected! if it was my daily and the truck was in a lot better cond then i would build the box totally, but its a secondary truck and for sale if someones willing to give me what i want so not wanting to spend huge dollars

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Is there a kit for this? I wouldn't mind giving this a crack.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That's the best thing you can do in the bang-for-buck steering box. Far better than the parts stores reman steering boxes.

Wish I had kept mine and rebuilt it........

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ended up getting the edelman kit as well, and a moog pitman arm. Stopped the leak, kinda wishing id rebuilt the entire box with bearings and what not... if i was going to keep the truck i prob would have. Now just ran into the issue of my truck turns more to the left then to the right, and needs an alignment terribly. Did before tho, probably will replace tie rod ends before i take it for an alignment though. Dont ask if they skipped a tooth or whatever installing the pit man arm, not sure. Had a local shop replace the seal and pitman arm, cheaper then me buying a socket, snap ring pliers, pitman arm puller... etc. Easy enough to get out the box though

You must be registered for see images attach