Steering box frame reinforcement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that makes reinforcements for the frame side of the steering box? I’ve noticed a small rot spot and a crack forming in this location. I think I am going to weld it and possibly plate it. Is this the best approach for this? The rest of the truck is really solid so it’s sucks that this is the weak spot on it

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not a crack. It's also rot. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a repair section for that. Maybe a salvage yard would cut a section for you.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
That's not a crack. It's also rot. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a repair section for that. Maybe a salvage yard would cut a section for you.

I think it is a combination of a crack and rot. But regardless, I'm going to assess the true damage once I can knock off some of the rust with the combination of needle scalar and wire wheel.

What is probably the best way of fixing this issue? Welding it up or creating a plate to cover it up?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's rotting from the inside out in an area above the lower welded on bracket where the frame rail kicks up. Dirt builds up and holds moisture in areas like that. The weld appears to be mostly intact but you have rusty, crusty, flaky metal at the lower edge of the hole. These are things that most any body guy would recognize. Maybe there is a crack there I'm not recognizing or maybe there was some collision damage(Broken sway bar) that caused some frame flex and the rotted frame section to fall out. You really need to dig in but I think if you wacked it with a pick hammer to test some integrity you'll find the hole gets much larger and needs metal replacement. Just trying to weld it, it's going to continue to deteriorate adjacent to the areas you welded. Just welding it up you might make it better cosmetically but not much structurally. Replacing the piece with a used section as I previously suggested also gives you the opportunity to get inside the rail and take some rust preventative measures and any repairs should be followed with some type of corrosion protection such as cavity wax inside the rail.

A repair piece should be the same thickness as what's there so that may be pretty difficult to hand fashion.

Last edited:

xjsciortino

Reaction score
It's rotting from the inside out in an area above the lower welded on bracket where the frame rail kicks up. Dirt builds up and holds moisture in areas like that.

Thank you. Yeah I picked at it some more and I've got a pretty good size hole now and its packed full of mud from behind like you said it would be. Going to pressure wash the mud out form the hole and keep picking at it until it gets to be solid steel again

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My frame has no rot and cracked here last year. If yours is weak where it is, I wouldn't be surprised if you have some of this going on as well.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The steering box reinforcement plates are a square body thing. They cracked without any help.
You got frame end rot.
You cant plate over that because you cant weld to rust.
If you try, its all gonna blow away.
Rusty metal is weak and has no structure left to allow a weld to happen.
You need a boneyard frame rail end.
And you need to be a pretty good welder too.
There is a guy on this forum called "kennythewelder"
Dude is 6G certified which means he knows his ****.
He can tell you what you need to do.
Im just an inspector.
I reject everything

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The steering box reinforcement plates are a square body thing. They cracked without any help.
You got frame end rot.
You cant plate over that because you cant weld to rust.
If you try, its all gonna blow away.
Rusty metal is weak and has no structure left to allow a weld to happen.
You need a boneyard frame rail end.
And you need to be a pretty good welder too.
There is a guy on this forum called "kennythewelder"
Dude is 6G certified which means he knows his ****.
He can tell you what you need to do.
Im just an inspector.
I reject everything
Kenny is great at what he does too, and then some. I would trust what he has to say.