Steering box adjuster - allen key adjuster stuck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rigid90sMTB

Reaction score
The steering in my 88 sierra has a TON of play, so I decided to adjust the steering box. The lock nut came loose but now the actual allen key adjuster WILL NOT budge. The truck's not even rusty. Any ideas?

(Not my picture)

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I know this is going to come up so I might aswell be the first to ask..... have you checked and replaced all of the loose steering components first? Pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods, ball joints, rag joint, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, fresh alignment, fresh fluid in the power steering pump/box, etc?

What you are describing should be the absolute last thing you do before replacing the steering box and you should be prepared to replace the box soon after turning that screw since it will probably self destruct soon after if you are just guessing how much to adjust it.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second RichLo. Also do you have tried a support arm kit for the idler and pitman arms? That can really tighten everything up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If all the front end parts are good, then the rag joint needs to be replaced. The rag joint is made out of a tire like rubber, and wares out in time. Since the rag joint connects the steering shaft to the steering box, when this rubber looses its stiffness, you will get play in the steering wheel. This play can be as much as 1/8 of a turn or even more. The allen bolt your fooling with, will not remove this play. It is there to set drag on the inner shaft more or less, and will not remove play in the steering shaft.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel tilt joint was loose and it made it feel like I had a lot of slop in the gear box. It was a ***** taking it apart to tighten the 4 bolts back up but, it took almost all of the slop out of the steering. Don't grab the steering wheel when you're climbing in the truck, LOL.

Rigid90sMTB

Reaction score
A mechanic went over the truck and said everything in the suspension was fine, and it only has 55k miles (first owner was an old man). That's why I assumed the play wasn't due to worn suspension parts. I'll check that steering wheel tilt joint and rag joint.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tye rag joint will get weak with age alone. Just a FYI. It can make a huge difference. It did in my 97 when I replaced it.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Instead of the Jeep shaft, I would recommend the Flaming River U-joint to just replace the rag joint. The Jeep shafts have a rubber insert that keeps the two halves 'glued' together and if that gets too hot they can un-couple as your going down the road. That's usually only a problem with headers but it was a risk I wasn't willing to take.