Starter Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BloodMoneyOBS

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Silverado, 5.7/700r4, and my starter just quit. I have a direct drive starter, stock. I'd like to change over to a gear reduction starter. I know it's a common thing to do, but I'm having a hard time confirming what part number I need for the bolts. Please sorrect me if I'm wrong, but I should just need a 1994+ gear reduction starter, 2 bolts(12338064), and a new cable for good measure, right?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not 100% sure if that part # is correct but the bolts for the gear reduction starter are approximately 4-5/16" long. They are noticeably shorter than the direct drive starter bolts. From the application you chose on the site, you are likely headed down the correct path.

At that price it's hard to go wrong though generally GMPD and other online dealers charge you a premium for S&H so watch out. Are there no local old-school starter/alternator shops near you that you can just go have the parts in hand?

Correct bolt engagement in the starter body looks like this - some of the crosshatch area on the bolt shoulder actually extends past the starter body into the hole in the block to help locate the starter and keep it from walking.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please sorrect me if I'm wrong, but I should just need a 1994+ gear reduction starter, 2 bolts(12338064), and a new cable for good measure, right?
That number is correct for the starter I used. If you've got a small flywheel/flexplate, you'd likely have a starter with one long bolt, and one short bolt.

The GM bolts have a stepped-knurl. The starter bolt hole is metric, larger than the block bolt hole which is 3/8-16. So the starter needs a larger knurl than the block. The GM bolts are the way to go.

ARP makes "mini-starter" bolts, but they have the smaller knurl on a larger shank. So they aren't as nice as the GM bolts.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Another thing about using the proper brand new bolts: you don't have to worry about them being bent. I've seen starter bolts on several of our trucks that were bent from overtightening or being the wrong bolt.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait. I used the factory bolts on my magnetic reduction starter two years ago, no problems have manifested themselves.............
I didn't know there were different bolts for the reduction starters........

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wait. I used the factory bolts on my magnetic reduction starter two years ago, no problems have manifested themselves.............
I didn't know there were different bolts for the reduction starters........
If they were the correct length and actual starter bolts (crosshatched shoulder as shown in the pics) then there's no issue.

The issue comes when people swap starter styles; the fullsize starter uses significantly longer bolts. Sometimes people try to get by using stacks of washers to space the longer bolts to fit the gear reduction starter.. this is a super bad idea.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the bolts were the correct length then it does not apply to you, "LOL"

You do understand there's more than 1 kind of starter and different length bolts used across the run of GMT400's, right? :D

Richard

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
If the bolts were the correct length then it does not apply to you, "LOL"

You do understand there's more than 1 kind of starter and different length bolts used across the run of GMT400's, right? :D

Richard

I was aware of the two different starters offered from the factory for these trucks and obviously different motors like the 6.5 but didn't know about the bolt lengths when switching from one type of starter to the next style

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they were the correct length and actual starter bolts (crosshatched shoulder as shown in the pics) then there's no issue.

The issue comes when people swap starter styles; the fullsize starter uses significantly longer bolts. Sometimes people try to get by using stacks of washers to space the longer bolts to fit the gear reduction starter.. this is a super bad idea.

Richard
Richard,
That's what I mean--the starter I installed was a magnetic reduction starter that was slightly smaller and lighter in weight. The factory bolts seemed to fit fine. Are you guys saying that the smaller reduction starter should have different bolts?
I did not know there were two different styles of starter bolts for the small block V8's on the GMT400's? Vorteec vs TBI ?