stand alone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question regarding a stand alone controller.

My transmission has never been right persay since the day it was built. Its a 4l60E. With that being said please dont get in a debate about 60s vs 80s. An 80 is not in the future and the question is about a stand alone controller. :peace:It was built by a very reputable shop in Texas, in fact the only shop my engine builder / hot rod shop trusts. My truck has a holley sniper with the stock pcm controlling the trans. The trans shifts good from 1st to 2nd then just falls on its face going from 2nd to 3rd (unless im really on the gas), but it shifts fine into 4th, if that makes sense.

Contacted the builder and he said it sounds like the pcm is locking the convertor up in 3rd gear not 4th like it should. So he suggested let him ride with me so he can see first hand. Sooo Ima make a 4 hour trip so the builder can confirm or deny his suspicions.

Anyways, i bet ima need a stand alone TCM. Im leaning towards the MSD atomic, Since msd is owned by holley and my entire fuel and ignition system is Holley. Is anyone familiar with this product? Do you get what you pay for?

Thanks

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help you there but, if my built 700r4 dies on me I'm gonna be in the market for a stand alone too. Although I'll probably look seriously into a 4L80E or up. Sub'd
:popcorn:

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We both ( the tranny builder and I) think my Convertor is locking up too early. I was going to get an 80 but the builder assured me its not really needed when compared to what I got from him. He could have sold me a 4l80E for more money didn't. I'm going to make the trip next week to his shop and let him play with the truck. I will report back.

If someone knows of a Stand alone TCM better than the MSD LMK.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How knowledgeable is he with a 700R4? I'm having an issue with mine, it won't shift 2 - 3 with WOT. I've changed weights and springs on the governor to get it to shift 1 - 2 ~5,000 RPM - 2 - 3, no joy. TV cable doesn't help either.

Sorry to high jack this...

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not too sure the shop is Phoenix Transmissions and the guy Iv been talking to is Greg. Greg's email is [email protected]. He replied with in a few minuets.. that of course was during normal business hours

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll give him a call Monday. Too bad Phoenix Trans isn't in Phoenix, ha ha.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about 60Es.

My 700 / 4L60 is supposed to engage the converter clutch in 3rd and 4th gear.

Wild guess: It's not the controller that's the problem, it's an issue inside the trans. I bet it's binding between 2nd and 3rd, which makes the vehicle seem like it's got no power.

Possibility: 2-4 band not releasing fast enough.

I'd like to know what you find in the pan. If I'm right, the band isn't long for this world.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing in the pan. ... fluid is clean... the converter is locking in 4th but to soon. It has to do w the program. The trans shop explained what was going on. Its locking up at at 40ish mph and suggested it be set to lock up at about 65 or 67. The stall is much larger than the stock stall so the pcm is not too sure whats going.

Last edited:

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock PCM will lockup the TCC as low as 30ish MPH in 3rd gear with low throttle input. Sounds like it's working the way it's supposed to. The transmission doesn't care what stall converter you have. The TCC lockup is all based on MPH and throttle opening.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Does the PCM have a custom chip or is it stock? Tuning the shifting isn't that hard with a custom chip, plus some stuff could be turned off that isn't required with a trans only setup.