Stance...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treble

Reaction score
On my 94 the front and rear measure out to 80" I've measured this twice. No difference between the front and rear

My 16 there was a difference between the front and rear. So I put a 2" wheel spacers/ adapters on the rear to even out the stance

What gives, I thought all GM vehicles had a difference between front and rear

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Is your 94 a 2wd or 4x4? 2wd models had the same track width. 4x4 had its front end wider than the rear.

Treble

Reaction score
Sorry I intend to fill my signature out better, she's A k1500. I could visually see the difference on my 16, before spacers. For now my 94 sits at 80" front and back.... Much narrower than my 16.... This guy runs a lot of offset

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you then. GM has done some real SMART things over the years :crazy:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah GM did some weird stuff back then. When I measured my truck when it was a half-ton, they were virtually the same width, the front may have been just a tad bit wider, because it was 4WD. That's weird why your 16 is different, you would think since it was 2016 they would have fixed that by now.

ice-sub400

Reaction score
I have a 1994 suburban 4x4, I hate the narrow stance on the rear, how thick spacers do I need to make it equal to the front?
And what was the reason for this difference? Did GM have large stock of narrow rear axles in the
90's

Treble

Reaction score
From what I understand if you use 2" wheel spacers/adapters you do not have to cut the studs, 1.5" adapters/spacers plan on cutting.
On my 16 with the 2" spacers the rear is 1" wider then the front. I don't remember what the actual measurements on my 16 are, but there archived over on the DuraMax board.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
From what I understand if you use 2" wheel spacers/adapters you do not have to cut the studs, 1.5" adapters/spacers plan on cutting.
On my 16 with the 2" spacers the rear is 1" wider then the front. I don't remember what the actual measurements on my 16 are, but there archived over on the DuraMax board.

I believe on your 16 the front and rear width are the same, until you lift them. It's usually the lift that kicks your front out 2".

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
For the GMT400s, 1.5" would be too much for a half-ton. 1.5" is perfect for a 3/4 ton, equal front and back. I am thinking .5" or 1" spacers, at best, for the GMT400s? I never really noticed on my half-ton, when it was a half-ton, but when you look at a 4x4 3/4 ton, the ass is just so much narrower.

@ice-sub400 to answer your question, I believe it was because GM thought of this idea that the rear could "cut" through new ground, instead of in the same path of the front tire for better traction. I could be wrong, that's just what I have read online. To be honest, I really haven't noticed a difference since I put 1.5" spacers on the rear of my truck to make it equal.