Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
patiently waiting on install pics

cool....i was just getting to this info.

i'm currently convalescing from yet another spine surgery so things don't happen in the time-frame i'd prefer....but...my plan is to do the install on one side and show pictures of the progression. a front view of the aesthetics and a night view comparison on the garage door......both with the stock harness, then the stock v. hi4 modification(at the same time) and before and after pics of bone stock v. the complete upgraded system.....

i'm going outside in a bit to get some pics of the pieces next to the truck.....i'm sure it's going to look a bit "updated"......especially when you consider this is the newest vehicle i've ever owned.....i thought the '90 was a huge difference from my previous K/5's.....fuel injection and those little assed headlamps(which really sucked).

much like my '15 Harley FLD v. my '80 FLH.....the new sled is a space invader version of my beloved shovelhead.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i went with Philips bulbs.....the 9006 VisionPlus low beams and the 9005 X-tremeVision high beam bulbs.....this is my first vehicle that has replaceable bulbs, not complete lights like my 1990 K/5.

lows....i bout blem packaged ones....$12
You must be registered for see images attach

highs
First of all, thanks for all the info and the link to DA Stern. I've heard that 9012 and 9011 lights are a real good upgrade over stock. What do you think ? Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for all the info and the link to DA Stern. I've heard that 9012 and 9011 lights are a real good upgrade over stock. What do you think ? Thanks

I know I wasn't the one asked... But here's my opinion anyway. :lol:

While the HIR bulb upgrade will almost certainly get you more light output, it's similar to putting HIDs or LEDs into a reflector not designed for them. Not quite that bad obviously, as the bulbs are very similar to the stock halogens. One major issue though, the low beam HIR bulbs lack the painted on glare cap that the standard halogens have. If you use them in a reflector housing with no built in glare cap, you will have a "hot spot" of light that will annoy oncoming traffic. Like I said, not as bad as a HID or LED retrofit, but still not ideal in my opinion.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

good question....

i started doing research on the follies and pitfalls of the GMT400 platform AFTER my brother found the truck for me......before getting my brand new '15 Harley i never had a vehicle with replaceable bulbs. Harley had come out with their own take on LED lighting, which was like Star Trek in my mind.......and i was sold on it after riding with a guy on a moonless night in upper Vermont. i was the old dog willing to learn a new trick or three.

ok....that's when i started experimenting with the new LED tech.....and after a considerable expenditure of funds, i came to understand that stock headlight buckets were not designed to reflect the pattern of LED bulbs....i have picture or two somewhere......this led me on a quest for a "better" halogen bulb that WOULD work...the halogen has a MUCH better light pattern, though yellowish ..and i've come to the conclusion that as long as the filament is the basically the same length and width it should perform well in the lens housing.

i just read a little article about that exact substitution you've brought up......and i don't see why it wouldn't be a good upgrade. what i DID want to do is upgrade the system with relatively stock or aftermarket parts keeping close to the original design and bulb schedule.....my goal was to show a real difference without straying from "stock" configuration......the biggest thing was i didn't want another plastic headlight assembly.....

i posted about this HIR bulb when i first joined up here, my research had begun:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/researching-headlights-gave-me-a-headache.33362/

after i get this show on the road i'll be open to reasonable upgrades if this falls short of my expectations....
i really think this should be fine.....the bulbs are still DOT compliant, "whiter" as per the kelvin scale, and they do look more modern without that European alien lens combo i've seen......i'm stuck on stock-like.....all my bikes follow very close to stock with huge improvements in engine and braking, lighting now too.

don't forget.....my plastic lenses are old, yellowed and not clear anymore.....the bulbs are old i'd guess and bulbs get dimmer over time....that alone will make it work like crap.....not to mention the fact that this system is hobbled by the fact power is taken directly from the switch and the full lumens potential can not be realized....and that was from General Motors.

if you have some patience drewcrew, what i do may give you some options.....but those newer bulbs are not the same as the original Toshiba HIR's.... that's another reason i didn't go that route just yet.....but at $24 for 2, it's not a huge waste to try......these Philips i got will not have OEM life expectancy......but that's something i'm willing to trade if it works well.

i do 95% of my distance driving at night....i like the solitude and traffic is not an issue.......alone on the road, able to see good in front of me and some good music make me really enjoy driving when i can't be on my bike.

later,
Bill

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

While the HIR bulb upgrade will almost certainly get you more light output, it's similar to putting HIDs or LEDs into a reflector not designed for them. Not quite that bad obviously, as the bulbs are very similar to the stock halogens. One major issue though, the low beam HIR bulbs lack the painted on glare cap that the standard halogens have. If you use them in a reflector housing with no built in glare cap, you will have a "hot spot" of light that will annoy oncoming traffic. Like I said, not as bad as a HID or LED retrofit, but still not ideal in my opinion.

bingo! on the front cover.......i knew i forgot that part....and it's a major reason i chose what i did..it's evident in the pictures, though i forgot to reference that......thanks

i overlooked this when i first did an LED conversion on my bike with the auxillary lamps....they had a forward facing Cree bulb that just blinded the **** out of anyone coming in the opposite direction........very bad.....make yerself a hood ornament bad.....people steer towards what they're captivated by.....there's been scientific studies done on this subject......back in the early '80's my towing company was the catalyst for one particular study.....The Moth to the Flame Concept. it startes because we lost a tow drivr on the highwy....the driver that killed him was mesmerized by all the "flashing lights".....too many is bad, too few is bad.....we(the towing industry)found the mid-point and the rear ended death rate plummeted soon after...

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
more of my mindless meanderings about lighting later tonight......

here's some **** for now.

i'm on the fence with the non-fluted lens....i really hope the cut off is crisp and clean....i can't imagine they would get a DOT approval if it wasn't......i'm looking forward to seeing this for myself.

the stock parking lamps have much more reflector under that clear cover......they re quite bright and you can see them fine under the headlights at night.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I like to get several opinions on things.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good question....

i started doing research on the follies and pitfalls of the GMT400 platform AFTER my brother found the truck for me......before getting my brand new '15 Harley i never had a vehicle with replaceable bulbs. Harley had come out with their own take on LED lighting, which was like Star Trek in my mind.......and i was sold on it after riding with a guy on a moonless night in upper Vermont. i was the old dog willing to learn a new trick or three.

ok....that's when i started experimenting with the new LED tech.....and after a considerable expenditure of funds, i came to understand that stock headlight buckets were not designed to reflect the pattern of LED bulbs....i have picture or two somewhere......this led me on a quest for a "better" halogen bulb that WOULD work...the halogen has a MUCH better light pattern, though yellowish ..and i've come to the conclusion that as long as the filament is the basically the same length and width it should perform well in the lens housing.

i just read a little article about that exact substitution you've brought up......and i don't see why it wouldn't be a good upgrade. what i DID want to do is upgrade the system with relatively stock or aftermarket parts keeping close to the original design and bulb schedule.....my goal was to show a real difference without straying from "stock" configuration......the biggest thing was i didn't want another plastic headlight assembly.....

i posted about this HIR bulb when i first joined up here, my research had begun:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/researching-headlights-gave-me-a-headache.33362/

after i get this show on the road i'll be open to reasonable upgrades if this falls short of my expectations....
i really think this should be fine.....the bulbs are still DOT compliant, "whiter" as per the kelvin scale, and they do look more modern without that European alien lens combo i've seen......i'm stuck on stock-like.....all my bikes follow very close to stock with huge improvements in engine and braking, lighting now too.

don't forget.....my plastic lenses are old, yellowed and not clear anymore.....the bulbs are old i'd guess and bulbs get dimmer over time....that alone will make it work like crap.....not to mention the fact that this system is hobbled by the fact power is taken directly from the switch and the full lumens potential can not be realized....and that was from General Motors.

if you have some patience drewcrew, what i do may give you some options.....but those newer bulbs are not the same as the original Toshiba HIR's.... that's another reason i didn't go that route just yet.....but at $24 for 2, it's not a huge waste to try......these Philips i got will not have OEM life expectancy......but that's something i'm willing to trade if it works well.

i do 95% of my distance driving at night....i like the solitude and traffic is not an issue.......alone on the road, able to see good in front of me and some good music make me really enjoy driving when i can't be on my bike.

later,
Bill
Thanks for the reply Bill. I think I'll try the 9011's and 9012's in my stock housings and see how they do. It won't be for a couple months though since the truck is in storage till the winter is over. Nice S&S air cleaner. CLASSSSSY

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
are you planning on putting a protective wrap on them? i used Lamin-X on another vehicle after a shattered lens but they fog up as bad or worse than the plastic lenses.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
here is a PERFECT example of an idiot.....and what df2x4 brought up......you can see exactly why you shouldn't put an "uncovered" high beam in a low bean lamp....these are the geniuses i want to hit in the head. i used to think my eyes are worse than they are, with night glare.....but it's really only a small percentage of cars that kill me. especially the other group of idiots that put 10K blue bulbs in....i have no idea why the cops don't pull them over..it's absolutely distracting.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...adlight-bulb-conversion-9006-9005-9011-a.html

i'll go into the "fog" light later........

EDIT: perhaps i shouldn't call these people idiots....ignorant would be more accurate unless they just don't give a fu@k about anyone else.......ignorant can be fixed with information, should one choose to use it....stupid is forever.

Last edited: