Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: Agreed.

Spyder seems to be right up there with Anzo in terms of quality when it comes to these Chinese companies. Decent stuff for sure. They have a few duds, but so do all of these guys. The projectors that Spyder makes for our trucks are pretty horrid... But then again so is every single drop-in aftermarket projector set that I've ever seen.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
:lol: Agreed.

Spyder seems to be right up there with Anzo in terms of quality when it comes to these Chinese companies. Decent stuff for sure. They have a few duds, but so do all of these guys. The projectors that Spyder makes for our trucks are pretty horrid... But then again so is every single drop-in aftermarket projector set that I've ever seen.

i can take that back to MY argument.....certain LED, HID and projector lights are indeed better at seeing the road.....but a quality built stock system will afford you much better lighting(seeing) than came on these trucks.....these retrofit setups are often ****,,,and dangerous to oncoming traffic.

i think a lot of folks are doing these space-invader systems because they look "cool" and modern.....not so much for ability to see in the dark SAFELY.........i'll go find my post in another thread and link it here.......in case you haven't noticed, i like to talk.....i especially like to give my opinion, LOL.........

EDIT: df2x4, i see we were in the same thread....haha.....i'll post this for additional info for potential readers seeking this kind of information.....

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/page-39#post-938214

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the lenses themselves are made very well.....they don't feel like your typical ebay-china-junk

You must be registered for see images attach

the sealer they used seem to be of a good quality...that was evident by the fact the pink foam packing cover was stuck to it in a few places......i think they may actually be sealed. time will tell.

those headlights look good. if you don't mind, how much?

Big_Ern

Reaction score
I am planning to get these myself. There is one bad review on Amazon that says the "manufacturer" suggests sealing them with silicone. I have a feeling this particular review is of the wrong product, but, just to be clear, does Spyder suggest anywhere in their documentation that you should seal these headlights? How about the TYC, do they suggest sealing them. Finally, do you plan on sealing them anyway or are you going to install them as is?

Thanks

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I am planning to get these myself. There is one bad review on Amazon that says the "manufacturer" suggests sealing them with silicone. I have a feeling this particular review is of the wrong product, but, just to be clear, does Spyder suggest anywhere in their documentation that you should seal these headlights? How about the TYC, do they suggest sealing them. Finally, do you plan on sealing them anyway or are you going to install them as is?

Thanks

i'm going to put them on as they came....i'm curious about that myself and hope nothing further is necessary....it the bead of material that Spyder put on is continuous with no gaps, i can't see how they would possibly build condensation.....of course you need to make sure the o-ring on the lamp socket is in good repair. i'll used some dielectric grease on this contact point as well.

well see soon enough.....

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
here is the parking lamp assembly detail......i have never had my truck apart and don't know what the OEM unit is like.

looking at these pieces i can only assume(yea, i know) tht the hole is to let out heat and or condensation buildup...i'm not positive of the install orientation yet either.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's pretty standard ventilation for those, my Anzos are set up the same way. That hole is installed facing down so that any moisture can drain out of the housings.