Speed Sensor Conectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This mole hill is turning into a mountain. Right now I'm looking at 250 bucks in parts, $300 with tax & shipping from rock auto.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-215018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-215018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210802-215040_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-215040_Samsung Internet.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210802-215051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-215051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 6

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I now there are cheaper part options so not totally crying about price, more dumbfounded how much damage was done going 2 mph backing out of drive way...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the speed sensor actually damaged? There's ~$70 you might not need to spend.

Is the front axle actuator damaged? Another ~$60 you might not have to spend. (Or are you upgrading from the thermal actuator?)

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
you should see how much RA and others charge for shipping to Canada. I watched the price of my cart triple back when trump imposed those tariffs on steel. I had a Canadian made with American steel gas tank that was then shipped back to the US only to be shipped back to Canada. it jumped from like $250 to $750. I was shocked! shipping is still astronomical and I no longer use RA.

I was wondering why you dont just fix the wires? solder, doublewall shrink wrap? are the plugs destroyed? even the terminals can be released and new wires soldered on and put back in.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you should see how much RA and others charge for shipping to Canada. I watched the price of my cart triple back when trump imposed those tariffs on steel. I had a Canadian made with American steel gas tank that was then shipped back to the US only to be shipped back to Canada. it jumped from like $250 to $750. I was shocked! shipping is still astronomical and I no longer use RA.

I was wondering why you dont just fix the wires? solder, doublewall shrink wrap? are the plugs destroyed? even the terminals can be released and new wires soldered on and put back in.
Thanks for your Reply!!!!
That's wild...it really is crazy how much everything ranges in cost these days!

After spending too much time underneath I finally figured out how everything was wired before...

Problem 1
The 2 PIN connector (Brown & Blue Wires) that plug into the 4wd Switch on top the transfer case are destroyed.
Solution
Since it wasn't shifting into 4 Low, replace both 4WD switch & 2 PIN connector. (Not Expensive)

Problem 2
The 3 PIN connector (that runs to the 4WD floor Shifter inside the cab) has one of the wires pulled out. The 3 PIN connector (White, Black & Brown wires) underneath the truck that plug into the connector running inside to the the 4wd floor shifter connector inside are also destroyed. Having a hell of a time finding a replacement.
Solution
Repairing/Hard Wiring these wires back together. Protecting/securing them safely out of harms way so hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Problem 3
The 2 PIN connector wires (Purple & Green) for the VSS were cut. (About a foot of length is missing)
Solution
Since I was intending on replacing the VSS sensor anyway, buy that and another 2 PIN connector. Just make sure it is wired right because none of the new 2 PIN connectors that I've found so far match those colors)

Problem 4
Made a newbie mistake replacing the 4WD actuator months ago with a thermal one not knowing the truck was already wired up for an electrical unit. 4WD worked, just the indicator light stayed on.
Solution
Replace new thermal actuator with a new electronic unit. Since the infamous brown wire is already spliced into the 3 PIN connector running to the cab, just leave it and reuse it for now.
The good news is that the torque convertor plug and wires look ok. These were bound together with tape along with the purple & green wires that I believe were connected to the VSS plug.

I'm hoping after all of this that 4WD will function properly in both hi/low range. Also keeping fingers crossed the new VSS will fix some of the delayed shifting under heavier throttle and smooth the shifting in & out of overdrive at slower speeds on the backroads. Should fix the CEL from coming on and of course fix the speedo...

Time to order some parts...ugh