Speaker wire colors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 sierra and i wanted to put different speakers in the truck because the guy who did it before i bought the truck i think he put them in wrong. So if anyone knows the colors or the speaker wires and which ones are for what it would be great!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Factory wires? They're really too small to work with any type of decent aftermarket speakers. Small gauge = big resistance. Re-wire the speakers with a better quality larger gauge right from the H/U. It will make a difference. Easy to do. Just a bit time consuming.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here you go (credit to the12volt.com)
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 4" x 6" Dash
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Rear Speakers 4" x 6" Side Pillar
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys would the same color of rear speaker wires be the same on my 93 ext/cab GMC truck verses the 97 above?

Is it that much of a difference when using factory speaker wires than aftermarket ones?
Thnanks! RJ

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
What’s the gauge of wire on the factory wires?

Depends on the year. Earlier models (88-94) seem to use upwards of 14-16 gauge, where the later years used more like 18-20 gauge. It's sufficient for the factory systems and aftermarket deck internal amps, but you'd probably want to replace them if your intent is to amp the speakers externally.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate it, yeah I’ve got a 90. Need to add some length to the wires