Speaker upgrade suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not, but the factory radios in these trucks were actually much better than most people give them credit for. I wish I could find the link, I've looked for it a million times, but someone here tested one years ago and it put out more power (and cleaner) than pretty much any aftermarket unit that was available at the time.

As long as the person doing the retrofit used a decent quality Bluetooth adapter and Bluetooth music streaming is the only feature you're trying to add, I would think one of the eBay units would be a fine choice. If you need RCA pre-outs for adding amplifiers then you might want to think about an aftermarket unit instead, although there are plenty of factory integration options if OEM looks are a priority.

Thanks df, I didn't think about pre-outs, I still can't decide what I want......sheesh.

Urban Cowboy

Reaction score
Our trucks desperately need a big 3 ( I call it a big 4 tho) desperately! Bigger wire from alt to positive on battery, a mounting bolts from alt to negative on battery , and negative on battery to fender wall, also need bigger wire to replace from battery positive to the main fuse block infront of the brake booster. It'll get rid of the wandering volt gauge on em. Definantly sounds like u got a good sounding setup, our trucks have a ****** soundstage but takes power to over come it and when u get there they sound awesome tho!

I am using a Soundstream Rubicon 5 channel amplifier that I've had for over twenty years and love the sound of. Since I was using that I ran an 8 gauge wire directly from the battery to a fuse a few inches away, and then on to the amp. Ground wire is also 8 gauge and within two feet of the amp grounded to the jack assembly case bolt after cleaning to bare metal and then sealed the area with fluid film. No glitches whatsoever.

My truck is a 97 Sierra in which I did the double DIN conversion to hold an Alpine INE-960HDMI head unit. It's a mix of touch screen and buttons for volume, mute, phone, and navigation. The head unit has bluetooth integrated phone, built in navigation, SiriusXM, and backup camera input. Wiring in the GPS, Microphone, SiriusXM, and RCA cables to the Amplifier was a bit of a challenge but all worked out. Biggest hassle was making clearance in the dash for the DIN unit. Had to be careful as there are wires right behind some of the plastic that has to come out so naturally didn't want to compromise those. I've done everything but install the backup camera but I'll do that when I tackle changing the HVAC heat door actuator.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am using a Soundstream Rubicon 5 channel amplifier that I've had for over twenty years and love the sound of. Since I was using that I ran an 8 gauge wire directly from the battery to a fuse a few inches away, and then on to the amp. Ground wire is also 8 gauge and within two feet of the amp grounded to the jack assembly case bolt after cleaning to bare metal and then sealed the area with fluid film. No glitches whatsoever.

My truck is a 97 Sierra in which I did the double DIN conversion to hold an Alpine INE-960HDMI head unit. It's a mix of touch screen and buttons for volume, mute, phone, and navigation. The head unit has bluetooth integrated phone, built in navigation, SiriusXM, and backup camera input. Wiring in the GPS, Microphone, SiriusXM, and RCA cables to the Amplifier was a bit of a challenge but all worked out. Biggest hassle was making clearance in the dash for the DIN unit. Had to be careful as there are wires right behind some of the plastic that has to come out so naturally didn't want to compromise those. I've done everything but install the backup camera but I'll do that when I tackle changing the HVAC heat door actuator.
Those old rubicons are awesome amps!

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
After reading this thread I'm confused.....more than ever but we won't go there quite yet. lol

I have a 1990 regular cab. The speakers are so, so and the buttons on the head unit (stock) are looking pretty ratty. I'm not all that concerned about using an aftermarket radio but I kind of like the factory location rather than in the center of the dash. Are there any options to have something in the stock location?

I don't have a huge budget to play with. in fact it is quite small. I'm thinking I'll start with speakers as at least that is what makes the noize.

Thanks!

Ken

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading this thread I'm confused.....more than ever but we won't go there quite yet. lol

I have a 1990 regular cab. The speakers are so, so and the buttons on the head unit (stock) are looking pretty ratty. I'm not all that concerned about using an aftermarket radio but I kind of like the factory location rather than in the center of the dash. Are there any options to have something in the stock location?

I don't have a huge budget to play with. in fact it is quite small. I'm thinking I'll start with speakers as at least that is what makes the noize.

Thanks!

Ken
To my knowledge you're stuck with off the shelf options fitting the center, or going full custom due to the fact that the HVAC controls are tied to the main unit to the right of the instrument panel.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk