Speaker upgrade suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that fuse for power wire going to the power center?

The second fuse ontop of the fuse block is the wire to the amp in the rear. I used the factory fuse block on the upper shroud tho, that's from battery to that fuse block and then to main fuse block and then out to another fuse block then out to rear amp. Reason for that is if the amp messes up it won't short out my power to the truck .

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that fuse for power wire going to the power center?
Sorry didn't look at pic in question, but yes there was a factory fuse block there ( cause it's a Yukon with rear HVAC maybe?) And I just replaced it with a better one, then the cover went MIA and haven't had a chance to replace it yet.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry didn't look at pic in question, but yes there was a factory fuse block there ( cause it's a Yukon with rear HVAC maybe?) And I just replaced it with a better one, then the cover went MIA and haven't had a chance to replace it yet.

So that is/was a factory fuse. On my 96 and 97 pickups there is no fuse in the power wire going to to the fuse block, that's why I was wondering if there was a reason to install one during a Big 3 upgrade.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is coming from somebody who probably hasn't installed a new stereo system, in like, a long time. So try not to laugh too hard......

While the audio brain trust is active, is the factory stereo's on Ebay retrofitted with Bluetooth any good?

I keep going back and forth with the factory vs an aftermarket stereo........

I'm asking this a second in case somebody has had experience with the factory stereos on ebay that have been retrofitted with the Bluetooth feature. Anybody try one yet?

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that is/was a factory fuse. On my 96 and 97 pickups there is no fuse in the power wire going to to the fuse block, that's why I was wondering if there was a reason to install one during a Big 3 upgrade.
There isn't one on my 97 pickup either, some guys running big setups fuse between alt and battery along with the fuse after battery and before rear battery bank. I personally don't out one between alt and battery and never had an issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm asking this a second in case somebody has had experience with the factory stereos on ebay that have been retrofitted with the Bluetooth feature. Anybody try one yet?

I have not, but the factory radios in these trucks were actually much better than most people give them credit for. I wish I could find the link, I've looked for it a million times, but someone here tested one years ago and it put out more power (and cleaner) than pretty much any aftermarket unit that was available at the time.

As long as the person doing the retrofit used a decent quality Bluetooth adapter and Bluetooth music streaming is the only feature you're trying to add, I would think one of the eBay units would be a fine choice. If you need RCA pre-outs for adding amplifiers then you might want to think about an aftermarket unit instead, although there are plenty of factory integration options if OEM looks are a priority.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
After my experience with a (probably improperly set) line-level converter likely being the reason both of my Alpine sub amps failed, I'm wary of them... IMO they really need special audio equipment to install and set gains properly for the outputs. I desire the factory look over pretty much any aftermarket, but there are some things a regular customer just can't do properly without audio specialty equipment.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very good point. On the same subject, most people don't have equipment to detect clipping and will set amplifier gains by ear. Which is usually fine if you know what you're doing and are cautious, but can cause the same type of damage if you don't know what you're listening for.

Some of the newer line level converters (AudioControl LC series for instance) look like they have some built in features that make set-up much easier, but I haven't actually played with one.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is my mess, ALWAYS under construction. Last pic is where ac compressor WAS, will be my second 300 amp is, still have to put my second run of 3/0 welding cable in. One run will carry 500a and my sub amp will pull 900a at full tilt, so gotta add a second run to finally get to set gain properly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ehall, where did you find those battery terminals? I saw them on the internet once and have been looking for them ever since. Thought I had the danged things bookmarked.......