Speaker size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I believe they are 4"x6".

I got these and I an happy with them. I hear details in my music I never heard before.

These are the ones Crutchfield recommended. They said the rubber surround is more tolerant of sunlight.

The front speakers in the dash are the same size. I have the 4x6 in the front and 4x10 in the rear. Don't do that! big mistake.
Long story

You'll need a Subwoofer to fill in the lows because 4x6's don't make a bunch of bass.
I have a Dual brand cheap powered 10"sub and I can hear the music clearly on the highway with the windows down.
The sub was given to me. I was going to get a powered 8" sub. That would have been enough.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
4x6 is indeed correct. I have and recommend these: Infinity Kappa 64CFX

Crutchfield shows them as discontinued, but Infinity's website still lists them as active. Recommended over the Kickers as the sensitivity is much higher, 94dB vs 88dB. That's pretty significant, especially if you're going to drive them with the stock stereo. Speakers don't get much louder than their base rating, 1 watt @ 1 meter. Which is to say just because you go from a 10 watt amplifier to a 100 watt RMS amplifier does not mean you've netted yourself a sound system which is 10 times louder. You might see an extra dB or three from such a move. Fun fact: Most of the time when we listen to a stereo, doesn't matter if it's in the house or in the car, if we can talk over it, you're using less than 1 watt of the amplifier's output.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Component speakers will always sound better than a combined woofer/tweeter combo speaker like the Kickers.

For me price was a large factor in my speaker choice. Crutchfield helped my choose the best bang for my buck given my budget constraints.

I'm driving mine with an old Alpine head unit.
I was surprised how much better they sounded over the Pioneer head unit I got with the truck.
Neither HU is high powered. Both were low end of the line.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yes indeed components are better!!! One speaker cannot handle all that’s needed for great sound!! If that was true we’d all have just a single speaker like they had way way back in the day! Lol

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm debating this job myself. Only the fronts are working right now but I get good bass with my sub under the backseat so I'm optimistic replacing front&rear 4x6s will give me the sound I want. Really not looking forward to taking apart the extended cab trim though..

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
It's not horrible to do. Just be gentle! A steady gentle pull in the right direction might get it apart in one piece.

I'm putting screws into Frank's trim and door panels instead of the clips wherever possible. I don't mind seeing the screws if they're done well.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I just ordered the Infinity Reference series 3.5" for the dash corners and the 4x6 for the rear pillars. They are on sale right now through Crutchfield for a great price. I'm tackling this job myself too. I'm sure you know, but Crutchfield sends great vehicle specific instructions on how to take apart everything. I did an entire stereo redo on my previous '99 with no probs.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote for components. I had Clarion 4x6 plates just in the dash, with I believe a 3.5" mid and a 3/4" tweeter. They handled the abuse I sent their way. Didn't want the B-pillar ones screaming in my ear!!!
If you are just running off the deck with no subs, you will more likely than not be happy with the upgrade from stock.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
As a side note, I have a Bazooka bass tube for under the back seat I'll use for the bass. I'll use high pass filtering for the high range speakers and have the bass through the Bazooka tube. I bought the Retrosound head unit (Long Beach Motor4) that has a dedicated sub output and the inline amp that allows the filtering. We'll see if it works!