Spare Tire Size

Discussion in 'Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits' started by Awest623, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Awest623

Awest623 Lifted Rides Better

Put the tire on the front of my truck? Hmm... Idk about that. I'm currently running 315s with no spare. But Imma drop down to 285s (maybe 295s) soon so I can take my god awful looking body lift off. Mounting it to the side of the bed sounds good but I do plan on getting a toolbox too. Maybe I could put the tire behind the wheel well

2. David Barry

David Barry Newbie

I've owned my '93 Sierra 350 for over 20 years. I have never removed my spare tire on a 15" wheel. My updated wheels are 18." I drive the truck around town; occasionally, on the highway. Would it benefit me to remove it and lessen the load? Does the spare help to keep the rear of the truck more stable? Would it provide much protection if I was rear ended?

I would appreciate your opinions.

3. 454cid

454cid Sooper Pooper

I'm no rocket surgeon, but I can't see it making a bit of difference in handling, or any significant difference in accident protection. I haven't carried a spare under the truck in years, and I removed the winch and braces this past summer (rusty).

You may have trouble getting the tire down if it's really been 20 years, even if you are in AZ.

4. Awest623

I'd keep it for when you blow a tire. I obviously ain't got mine. But I kinda wish I could

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

5. David Barry

David Barry Newbie

Thanks guys, for your thoughts on this. I'll have to get out the manual to see how to lower the spare.

6. Awest623

You lower the spare using the handle for the scissor jack.

David Barry likes this.
  7. Awest623

Might wanna spray some wd40 or a pb blaster in there to loosen everything up

8. 454cid

454cid Sooper Pooper

They are notorious for seizing. When I had one stuck on a GMT-610 van, I sprayed it, and just had to keep working the handle back and forth. On my truck, I don't think it actually seized. I had the bed off, and removed the hoist from the frame, so it wasn't an issue.

9. Eveready

Eveready I'm Awesome

From what I have read about it, the winch work fine if it gets a little love about once a year. That would mean some sort of lubrication. When I bought my truck the spare was in the bed ready to be stolen and the winch was tied out of the way with a zip tie. Once I learned how it was supposed to work (a task I detailed elsewhere on this forum to my embarrassment HINT it looks weird but it really does work that way) I just lowered it and stored the tire. It worked fine. I need to find out how to lube it. That seems to be the secret.