Spare Tire Crossmember 1996 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeFrostiPine

Reaction score
Hello! I recently sold my vehicle and purchased a near mint 96 k1500. No body rust, original interior, everything. While the frame has minimal rust, the edges of the rear spare tire crossmember is starting to rot. The rest of it is solid. I was told by a friend who is a mechanic that the rear crossmember does not offer much support, and I shouldn't worry about it. Also, I've read that some people delete the rear crossmember to add a fuel tank. Should I worry, or should I get this replaced? Everything else is solid on the truck, and I do not wanna take a loss on it considering it's my only vehicle now. I'll attach photos later

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like guy could weld some angle steel onto the existing and make it strong enough to carry a spare tire safely. It's not like it is holding up the motor or steering. I would attempt a repair before trying to remove/replace it, just my 2 cents.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's an X shaped cross member, and is certainly designed as part of the overall strength of the frame. Maybe your friend is thinking of the lightweight braces that keep the spare from rocking back and forth? I would not remove it, other than to fix it and re-install. I think it's riveted in.

Maybe keep an eye out at the salvage yard for another?

keckerjr

Reaction score
That's an X shaped cross member, and is certainly designed as part of the overall strength of the frame. Maybe your friend is thinking of the lightweight braces that keep the spare from rocking back and forth? I would not remove it, other than to fix it and re-install. I think it's riveted in.

Maybe keep an eye out at the salvage yard for another?
I happen to agree.
I just installed a near mint crossmember and while doing I had to push the frame rails out about a half inch to fit it in.
Without that crossmember I'd have no way to know the rails were that much 'out'.