Sound Deadening - Cost/Thickness/Density Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I was tinkering around the other day trying to compare sound deadening. Mostly I was looking for best bang for buck and using density as the driving factor with price point coming in second. I was messing around and put it into excel and figured it was at least neat to share.

Before I get beat up for this, I put as much information as I could find on amazon to determine this cart. I didn't deep dive into the internet so I'm sure I'm leaving out some brands. Some will be flaming me for adding things together that shouldn't be together. Others will get upset at any ranking of second skin less than top because density isn't the only thing it does as it's a hybrid. I'm just putting a few items together and hoping to share.

Many times density wasn't given, but it would give a package weight. I would then come up with density based on the package weight / square footage advertised. I added a few notes here and there and included some estimates on floor and roof costs based on "average car" floor and roof square footage. Additionally, I came up with my own column which is (lb/ft)/thickness which is density.

Average Car Floor = 32 ft^2
Average Car Roof = 15 ft^2
Density (Wt/tk) = Package weight / square footage advertised.
Green = Best in Catagory
Yellow = Least in Catagory

Conclusion:
Obviously Second Skin is probably going to be the best but comes with a hefty price tag of 8.89$/ft^2. I think at a cost and density point, I would go with Noico. However Canopus may win out as best bang for buck but I don't know anything about them.

If this is interesting to anyone else but me, I will put more work into this excel sheet and post it up (including the excel file iteself).

Sorted by Highest lb/ft
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorted By highest cost/ ft^2

Sorted by thickness

Sorted by Density

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really cool, thanks for taking the time to put it all together. I’ll be using luxury liner pro on my doors whenever I get a round tuit

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Save yourself a ton of money. Go to your local home improvement store. There is a product called peel and stick. It is adhesive roll roofing. It works just as good, looks the same with the metal aluminum backing on one side, been using it for years and its 30 percent of the price. The other big advantage is it is on a 36" wide roll which makes doing the doors a 1 sheet job.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to throw SoffSeal into the mix. If you need the weight, I'll see what I can do.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But why not? It stays put on my roof at 150*.

I've used Dynamat and Noico. There was zero detectable difference, either in the tar mat or the foam.
Because “peel and stick” is an asphalt based product designed for nearly horizontal surfaces. It falls off of vertical surfaces ie: the inside of a door. It stinks for a long time. The asphalt/tar melts and gets everywhere. The “cheapness” is quickly diminished because you need so much of it to match the performance of a butyl based, application specific “damping” product. Butyl is extremely sticky, and with proper surface prep, will never come off.

It’s been tested against many times and never proves to be “worth it” regardless of price point.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
This is super cool! Thanks for taking the time to do it! Perfect because I'm wanting to install sound deadening in my '82 K10 and '98 K3500 here soon

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want good information about automotive sound treatment, this is really good: www.resonixsoundsolutions.com/shop

Butyl products are for Constrained Layer Damping, which helps stop panels vibrating.

After putting that on, if you want to block sound, get 1/64 sheet lead, 1/8" closed cell foam, some 3M spray glue, and make your own sheet lead sandwich.

www.rotometals.com/lead-sheet/sheet-lead-1-64-1-lbs-sq-ft/
www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/polyethylene-foam-roll.html

And when people go nuts about using lead, tell them to check their narcissism and read:
www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/leadtoxicity/exposure_routes.html

To fill voids and absorb sound, I have yet to find anything better than Melt Blown Polypropylene Fibers like the Fiber Mat on the Resonix site.