SORT of towing subject

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a 94 k2500 with the g 80 diff and a 4l60e and the owners manual states you should never tow in 4th.
Like skull and crossbones death warnings
It's all about the trans temp.
The good news is that with a Nissan maxima on the car trailer I still got 9 miles per gallon!
Yippee

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a 94 k2500 with the g 80 diff and a 4l60e and the owners manual states you should never tow in 4th.
Like skull and crossbones death warnings
It's all about the trans temp.
The good news is that with a Nissan maxima on the car trailer I still got 9 miles per gallon!
Yippee

It's not all about the temp. If he keeps it locked and it doesn't hunt it'll stay cool enough. But it will gut itself.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not all about the temp. If he keeps it locked and it doesn't hunt it'll stay cool enough. But it will gut itself.

^^^Its about the clutches and band as well as the planets taking alot of abuse. Where the 4L80E is rated to hold its maximum torque in all gears the 4L60E is weak in OD.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
^^^Its about the clutches and band as well as the planets taking alot of abuse. Where the 4L80E is rated to hold its maximum torque in all gears the 4L60E is weak in OD.

I know that to be the theory, but never witnessed it firsthand take out a trans. Did you observe elevated temps in 4th vs 3rd prior to seeing the light?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that to be the theory, but never witnessed it firsthand take out a trans. Did you observe elevated temps in 4th vs 3rd prior to seeing the light?
No I just burned the OD clutches multiple times. Weiand 177 blown TBI that had no problem holding overdrive power wise.