Someone talk me out of ditching my TBI setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kensa46

Reaction score
My 96 has been converted to an Edelbrock carb and intake...big cap HEI...The previous owner took the faulty spider FI off and tossed it..I bought it partially built..I'm saving for an aftermarket fuelie setup...The current setup works ok and is reliable...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm amazed that there are still so many people recommending Harris Performance/Harris Tuning/TBIChips or whatever they're going by now when we've seen so much evidence that their tunes are garbage. I guess it's just because no one else is really advertising tuning services for '88-'95 trucks.

Eargesplitten

Reaction score
Probably also because he has such a thorough list of recommended mods and builds with different results. I'd be open to seeing any conflicting opinions on his recommendations, but when I was searching through here his site was referenced fairly often.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I was searching through here his site was referenced fairly often.
Probably 50/50 - good/bad too. In my experience, if you don't try other avenues, you may not know how much can be improved. On the chip I bought from him, all he did was make the SA tables a little more aggressive, and had me install an 18 LB spring without any VE tables modification from stock. The 18 LB spring gave me more fuel but, when I was tuning, I found the injector DC was going over 106% at WOT and 5200 RPM, meaning they were open all the time.

Just buying a mail order chip and thinking it's good enough, it usually isn't. :33:

Eargesplitten

Reaction score
Fair enough, I'm just kind of lost when it comes to these engines. I've always owned Subarus being a proper Colorado boy but I'm buying my dad's old work / current farm truck in "needs work" condition. I used to just rent a truck when I needed one but now I moved somewhere that's not an option. I'm still getting used to the idea of exhaust and intake work not being a waste of money, and there's enough legacy technology on these things that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it what with being used to MPFI and sensors for everything. At least I'm used to OBD-1, the "If you can't figure out what's wrong I'm not telling you" of diagnostic computers.

Matt Ayalla

Reaction score
Take my advise. Don’t waste your time and money. Granted I did this same thing back in the late 90’s when there really weren’t options for the conversion. I ended up swapping heads, intake, distributor, fuel delivery, etc…, and it finally worked. I still have the truck, and I’ve decided to install a Holley Sniper system. Only wish they had this in 1997.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Fair enough, I'm just kind of lost when it comes to these engines. I've always owned Subarus being a proper Colorado boy but I'm buying my dad's old work / current farm truck in "needs work" condition. I used to just rent a truck when I needed one but now I moved somewhere that's not an option. I'm still getting used to the idea of exhaust and intake work not being a waste of money, and there's enough legacy technology on these things that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it what with being used to MPFI and sensors for everything. At least I'm used to OBD-1, the "If you can't figure out what's wrong I'm not telling you" of diagnostic computers.
Well, that may be the case with most OBD-I Ford offerings, but not so much with GM stuff. With a proper scanner, the ECM will tell you quite a bit and you don't have to have a break-out box like with Ford EEC-IV to see knock counts or sensor voltages, for example.

Traveling man

Reaction score
'90 Suburban, LO5 350.

A couple of months ago, my engine blew a head gasket, and while I had the heads off, I installed some ported small-chamber TPI heads, and an upgraded cam (204/ 214, .420"/ .443", 112 split).
Of course, the factory computer is confused by the strange MAP readings from the lower vacuum signal (15-16" hg @ 750 rpm), so I needed a chip.

I've tried FOUR of them, and none of them worked. Every time, the engine goes into "limp-in" mode and runs worse than it did before.
SES light stays on or blinks like a strobe-light; cannot retrieve any codes.
Reinstalling the factory chip eliminates this.

I've gone through the whole diagnostic procedure for this condition (from an official GM service manual), and every time it comes up being the fault of the PROM chip.
The tuner has tested the chips, and swears that they're good.

For whatever reason, this truck's ECM just doesn't like tuned chips.
At this point, I'm about ready to slap a Quadrajet and big-cap HEI on it and call it good, but that seems like a huge step backwards to me.
And I'm not getting rid of the cam.

Anyone have any arguments to keep the TBI?
My two cents Never really been a fan of Quadrajet, but with a Holley, if it was a Factory Motor you haven't changed anything, that carb will probably net you about 30 horsepower over the tbi easy to tune and much cheaper, But... if you're going to be progressively adding things for power heads nitrous turbo plus want to start easily in cold temperatures, Holley HP, sniper, personally I went with the Terminator x max, but I 6.0 ls 4l80e swapped. Total cost keeps adding up little things $$$ I didn't account for when I got started, little extras they don't tell you about, how about a 1200 dollar Digital speedo that's why it's was tweens screens vary cool! $1200 OSB – dash nsert for it $ 350 WHAT! $60 cool little plastic insert for the radio used to be to hold the handheld, fifty bucks just for the relay&fuse with 10 gauge wire, and and and or it's a little cold blooded with a carburetor, you can still get a blow through carburetor, or still run nitrous, or the Holley sniper all set up one little unit, then again its FRIGGIN HOT. before you know it we'll be driving electric cars, and it won't be legal to drive on the road or pass inspection with aftermarket ecu's or carburetors unless it was made before 1972 and the gas will be so outrageous you'll have to learn how to make moonshine to run it on like some RUSH song about motor laws

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Long rant but I agree with you... I think?

get a 4-barrel intake and go with an aftermarket 'throttle body' of your choice. Holly, Fitech, Edelbrock, whatever.

Im sorry to a lot of you TBI guys but what you get with todays aftermarket far exceeds anything your could have done in the early 2000s. I still have OEM TBIs but I dont think I would think twice about spending $1000 on a manifold and new FiTech or something to get laptop tunable performance if/when I upgrade to the point of out performing the factory settings.