Somebody STOP me!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not saying anything good or bad about the 3208 as I have no experience with it. i just know it was an optional engine in those days. I am sure our 350 had some pretty anemic HP/TQ numbers as well, but for 20 years, it got the job done. Just not very fast. A 366 or 427 would probably walk circles around us. Of course, it those days, it was acceptable for a 3 ton grain truck to max out at 35 MPH on the highway "in the top and floored" (i think that is the lyric) when fully loaded. These trucks got their muscle from deep rear axle ratios. If I remember correctly, our C60 had 8.8 lo axle/ 6.5 hi axle.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I am not saying anything good or bad about the 3208 as I have no experience with it. i just know it was an optional engine in those days. I am sure our 350 had some pretty anemic HP/TQ numbers as well, but for 20 years, it got the job done. Just not very fast. A 366 or 427 would probably walk circles around us. Of course, it those days, it was acceptable for a 3 ton grain truck to max out at 35 MPH on the highway "in the top and floored" (i think that is the lyric) when fully loaded. These trucks got their muscle from deep rear axle ratios. If I remember correctly, our C60 had 8.8 lo axle/ 6.5 hi axle.
This one has the non-turbo Detroit 8.2 and Allison transmission in it. I've talked to the owner again and we've worked out a deal.
First thing I'll need to do is figure out the lights/wiring issue it has. He said after he added all those extra running lights around the truck, it keeps blowing fuses.
I'll use it as practice for becoming better at making YT video content as well as better content and detail here.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying anything good or bad about the 3208 as I have no experience with it. i just know it was an optional engine in those days.
Hell, back in the 80's, I had one in a White 4-150 articulated tractor. The 150 meant PTO HP, the engine put out 175 HP. They were "throw away" engines unless you bored and sleeved them. The turbo ones made some decent power.
Here's a picture of one, not mine, ha ha.
You must be registered for see images attach

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I miss driving my ex-father in laws White 195, the old(early 70's) Freightliner cab-over with a 12v53 Turbocharged engine swapped in, and a eaton fuller 18spd. I had a 8v53 sitting around that I was going to use for a rat rod engine but my divorce happened before i could realize that dream.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lengthen the frame and ramp truck it. Also, ditch the 8.2.

"Of the roughly 300,000 8.2s produced, nearly 100,000 were built as “Spares” specifically to replace engines that failed within the engine’s warranty. Of the roughly 200,000 engines sold, nearly all failed while still under warranty, many catastrophically."

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I either need to be talked OUT of this, or possibly talked into it.
It's an '82, diesel, Allison transmission, working '64 Holmes wrecker bed on it.
I've seen this thing sitting in that spot for 25+ years. I saw the old fellow on his porch, so I whipped in and asked if he'd sell it. He gave me a REALLY low price and said "go start 'er up." I walked around, snapping these pics and then turned the key for about 4 seconds, pumped the pedal ONE time and tried it again. This time it took half a second to fire up and purr like a kitten! I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't video the darn thing till it was running.
Crazy to consider buying it? Money maker?
Anyone?
I love the look of those. If I had nothing better to do with money I'd buy it. This could be turned into one of these oversized pick up trucks like f450(I'm sorry for swearing) or Navistar but retro one. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear (!!!! Is kinda givaway) but that's my 2 cents lol