Some advice on repairing a 94 blazer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noble

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I got some questions and figured this would be the best place to ask. My stepfather had a 1994 blazer sitting on his property for at least 10 years. He passed away not too long ago; so now it's mine to fix. Apparently, It was running when he parked it; It just needs "put back together." Just from glancing at it. It seems to be in great shape other than the fact it's been sitting. The most information I could figure out why it was parked was because he was going to do something like to put a bigger engine into it but when he got everything unplugged and ready for it to be yanked out, he got busy with life. What is everything I should do to get it running again? How hard are these to work on? What is it worth in decent shape? I'm not super mechanically inclined; The most mechanical work iv ever did is replace the valve cover gaskets on my Nissan 350z. My plans right now are just to replace the oil, replace the coolant, new belt, new battery, new gas, and put some oil into the spark plug hole. ANY advice would be great. It's a 5.7L v8. 4wd. automatic 2 door.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome..

I wouldn't worry about replacing oil, coolant, belt just yet - check 'em for sure, but no need to replace until you actually get it running. Pulling the spark plugs and squirting some Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder isn't a bad idea. Then with the plugs still out, you could try cranking it over by hand using a breaker bar and socket on the balancer bolt.

Then, get the old fuel out of the tank. It may or may not have killed the pump already, or at least eaten the short rubber hose that attaches the pump to the hard line on the sending unit. Pump lives inside the tank, immersed in fuel.

You can get a cheap siphon bulb hose and try getting the old fuel out with that. Then reinstall your plugs, give it a few fresh gallons and a hot battery, see if it will try to start, and go from there.

I'd bet a dollar the fuel pump is toast from sitting. Not guaranteed, but likely. Easy and inexpensive fix, but be ready to drop the tank.

2 door Blazers aren't super common compared to 4 doors, GMT400 enthusiasts dig 'em, and a 1994 of course is last year before the interior redesign. Some people prefer that older interior style (I sure do) and if the truck is in good condition it's definitely got value. Hell even a project 2 door Blazer has value. How much it's worth will vary depending on entire condition and your local market. Get us some good pics and keep us updated.

Richard