Solved my door rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
After reading around a bit on here, I decided to try the simplest method and it's working well for me so far, though it has only been a few months.

I loosened the strikers (all 4 on the Burb), pushed them as far in towards the interior as I could, and then retightened them. This made a huge difference. The Burb used to rattle horribly over bigger bumps/pot holes.

Just make sure not to over-loosen the strikers as I read you can lose the bolt on the rear of the striker in the body.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, can fix it in some cases. Just don't go too far or you may not be getting full latch engagement - may seem like you are, but the door could pop open unexpectedly.

Loosening the striker too much will definitely let the nut plate behind it fall off. Really you only need to loosen it enough so it can be shoved around. My suggestion would be to loosen it enough to move it, finger-snug it down so it can't move easily, then close the door. Push the door itself all the way in; the latch will move the striker. Then carefully open the door and tighten the striker down. Helps if the pawl in your latch is lubed up nice and good so it doesn't drag the striker back out from its new position before you can tighten it.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your door is sagging at all due to worn hinge bushings/pins then you should address that first. Depending on the striker to take care of all the door's ills will end up just slowly destroying the striker, latch, and even the cab where the striker installs. Trust me on that...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your door is sagging at all due to worn hinge bushings/pins then you should address that first. Depending on the striker to take care of all the door's ills will end up just slowly destroying the striker, latch, and even the cab where the striker installs. Trust me on that...

Not to mention that putting off replacing door bushings will ruin the hinge holes and make a simple cheap repair a headache.