(SOLVED -ish?) HELP! Lug nut thread pattern shenanigans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, i need a little help here, i'm at a loss. I just bought an 89 K3500, appears to be almost entirely unmolested. SoCal ranch truck, You're seeing the absolute worst of the rust, 125k miles. Anyway, i got it home and realized im missing 5 lug nuts. No big, was at a junkyard and grabbed a handfull of another OBS 3500. Too small. Bought a single m14 at autozone... too small. Tried a 9/16 x 18, still no juice. Anybody had a similar issue? as far as i know the axle is original, he mentioned things he had replaced and i feel that would be worth noting. I believe its a dana 60, pic attached. any ideas?
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, you've got one of the Dana axles. They're not very common in GMT-400's. I'm guessing this must be a dually? I don't know why some got a Dana.

Unfortunetly, I have no idea on your lug nut problem.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The older (squarebody and previous) stuff used either 7/16" or 9/16" studs depending on light or heavy duty. All GMT400 stuff is 14mm with the exception of real-deal 3500HD with the Dana 80 which has 5/8" studs but it would be dead obvious if you had that as they are 10 lug.

Richard

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update - broke a nut loose and took it around town for the day... got the runaround at autozone, they can't look up anything in their system, even by thread pattern, unless you have the year make and model. Which for this truck says M14. Pep boys was being remodeled and had absolutely zero parts. I asked the name went behind the counter if he could at least look it up and give me a part number, and he said that they had no parts because they were remodeling the storefront, the only thing they were doing was oil changes. Apparently they were also remodeling the computer application that lets him look up parts?
Finally, across the street discount tire came through with a keychain full of wheel studs to size up lug nuts. M16x1.5. What the hell?
Google searches, as well as any parts website, Amazon and ebay, bring up tons of results for 16 mm outside hex size nuts, that are usually like m14x1.5 or something, I did manage to find a doorman brand for $7 each... Looks like I'm going to be heading to a hardware store to get some plain old hex nuts for some peace of mind until I can change out the studs.
I just bought this truck a couple months ago and have probably driven it 50 miles since then including the drive home, at some point soon I have to drive across the country
Anyway, thank you guys for your help. I'm not sure what the hell to think of this truck yet, and I'm still not sure what the axle is, my experience in identification goes as far as googling the chart with a bunch of different diff covers, so yeah I can tell you it's a Dana for sure but that's about it. If any gurus out there could help me nail it down with that number I just put on, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_124420274.jpg
    IMG_20210707_124420274.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 21

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 42815-2 is the bill of materials # from Dana; looking that up it appears to be a Dana 70 / 267 from a 2000's Ford E350 van. The second picture you posted looks much cleaner than the crusty one in your original post; where exactly did that second picture come from?

Richard

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that picture came from under my 89 K3500... i figured that 11 22 88 wouldn't be a date, that would be too simple, but a ford van? I really feel like the PO, who was the original owner, wouldve mentioned if it wasnt stock, but none of this makes sense at all now

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those axles got used in a bunch of applications with slight variations depending on where they originally were used. My best guess is they blew up the original and found one that was "close enough" - I'm still a little perplexed by the lug nut size, though.

What I meant by "where exactly" did the pic come from - is where exactly on the unit did it come from?

Richard