(SOLVED -ish?) HELP! Lug nut thread pattern shenanigans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
In the video everything looks factory, even the crappy wiring. The easiest way to convert would be to buy a dually bed, so that may be what they did. It's what I'd do.

Were the box sides cut though like OEM dually beds? It was kind hard to tell for me, since I don't have a dually and the camera was in constant motion.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, those formed sheetmetal wiring runs are factory style, too.

The bridge pieces between the wheel tub and where the original bed wheel opening is cut up appear factory.

This is what one looks like with all the stuff removed..

You must be registered for see images attach

So I'll agree with OEM dually bed most likely, but still a truck that was converted from SRW. The VIN digit pretty much guarantees it; no way a factory dually would have a "G" VIN instead of H.

Richard

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, learned a lot abot my cobbletruck, looks like i've got a fresh, rust free dually bed with good wheels and spacers to sell when i switch to SRW/flatbed. That should be a hit back in the rustbelt.
I'll be lurking around as the forum as much as i can on deployment these next few months, i'll keep yall posted when i try to ride this heap cross country in the spring, possibly towing my girl's chrysler 200. Should be fun.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, learned a lot abot my cobbletruck, looks like i've got a fresh, rust free dually bed with good wheels and spacers to sell when i switch to SRW/flatbed. That should be a hit back in the rustbelt.
I'll be lurking around as the forum as much as i can on deployment these next few months, i'll keep yall posted when i try to ride this heap cross country in the spring, possibly towing my girl's chrysler 200. Should be fun.
If you come across I-64 shout out. I'll meet ya for lunch if time permits.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, bit of a mystery solved i guess. Anybody have enough experience with the rear fenders to identify OEM vs this conversion? Honestly this might be good news, Knock on wood if it was converted FROM SRW, the trip back shouldn't be too rough. And the bed replacement, even if it is just the wide hips added, would explain the respray making it look original. I'll snap some pics of the fender and check for logos, markings, and paint colors.
And thanks for that info dump, my 88 was an Oshawa truck as well.
Definite SRW to DRW conversion. As far as I've seen, no dually has bolt-on spacers from OE. Especially not one that changes the lug pattern from 8x6.5. (As shown by the pic of the GM steel front wheel laying on the driveway)

Also, weren't the majority of duallys equipped with an second set if overload helper springs, mounted above the main leaf pack? The "wheel off pic" doesn't even show holes in the frame for the mounts...

Hey OP, when you unbolt the spacer, what is the pattern and lug thread?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Definite SRW to DRW conversion. As far as I've seen, no dually has bolt-on spacers from OE. Especially not one that changes the lug pattern from 8x6.5. (As shown by the pic of the GM steel front wheel laying on the driveway)

Also, weren't the majority of duallys equipped with an second set if overload helper springs, mounted above the main leaf pack? The "wheel off pic" doesn't even show holes in the frame for the mounts...

Hey OP, when you unbolt the spacer, what is the pattern and lug thread?
Good catch on the lack of extra overload pack and the brackets/snubbers/whatever you want to call them that they contact when a heavy load comes into play. You can barely spot them in the pic of my old green dually up there with the fender flare removed.

Richard