Soft brakes (no lights on, nbs upgrade)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obssuburban

Reaction score
Does your scanner say it has " bi directional ability" ? Scanning and code reading are a " one way" one direction communication. Bidirectional is reading and scanning AND then giving directions or functional actions through the scanner. For instance " increase idle speed to 1500 rpm, rrrRRRR.".
Brakes are an important item in Automotive repair. There are a lot of things that can suddenly not work, and probably won't kill you. But sketchy, unreliable brakes can kill you , your family , and world outside your vehicle.
Your diy is good thing , except in the area of brakes , a mentor or experienced, friend , mechanic , would get you light years ahead in knowledge and skills advantage.
If you don't have the factory OE service manual, covers " Everything" you should get it . There a free pdf, search the engine thread for the list of all different years get yours, might be more than one book. Good luck.
I have a innova 3170rs, i know it can bleed newer abs systems i just dont know about obd1, i completely agree and thats why im trying to do my best to get the brakes to where i can drive safely

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 C1500 Suburban 350
Almost certainly JB5 brakes. Might be nice to have confirmation, though. Look at the sticker in the glovebox.

If so, the rear brakes are infamous for being out-of-adjustment. Leads to low pedal.

Ended up getting a new master cylinder for that model, same issue after bleeding (i dont know how effective the bench bleed was as it was my first time doing it),
Bench bleeding takes more time and effort than most folks realize.

And then i did the nbs master cylinder swap
MISTAKE.

the brakes are horrible now (all the videos i saw the bled the nbs mc on the truck)
No bench-bleed? No wonder the brakes are horrible. But even with a bench-bleed, that "NBS" master cylinder has to GO.

As has been said, the ABS needs to be bled using a scan tool.

obssuburban

Reaction score
Almost certainly JB5 brakes. Might be nice to have confirmation, though. Look at the sticker in the glovebox.

If so, the rear brakes are infamous for being out-of-adjustment. Leads to low pedal.

Bench bleeding takes more time and effort than most folks realize.

MISTAKE.

No bench-bleed? No wonder the brakes are horrible. But even with a bench-bleed, that "NBS" master cylinder has to GO.

As has been said, the ABS needs to be bled using a scan tool.
I checked and believe its JB6, i dont know but i seen that code in the glovebox. I will blench bleed my replacement oem master and put it back on. I have adjusted the drum to be tight with the drums on (still able to put on and take off). Is it safe to drive without this abs bleed because i do not have the money or technical expertise to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_8880.jpeg
    IMG_8880.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 6

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked and believe its JB6, i dont know but i seen that code in the glovebox. I will blench bleed my replacement oem master and put it back on. I have adjusted the drum to be tight with the drums on (still able to put on and take off). Is it safe to drive without this abs bleed because i do not have the money or technical expertise to do it.
Yes, you have JB6, so once fixed, you should have good brakes.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a high probability of air in the abs sysyem. I don’t know that I would call soft brakes safe.