Smog pump/AC delete question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88RCSB4X4

Reaction score
I have a 88 5.7 TBI 4x4 and I’ve been fraying belts lengthwise and have narrowed it down to either the (non-working) AC or the useless smog pump. I’m on the cheap right now so can’t afford to throw a bunch of dough at it. Belt came off again today in the heat 90+ and a bunch of it was wrapped around the ac pulley so I’m thinking that’s the culprit. There definitely seems to be a little noise coming from either the ac or smog pump? I don’t have the money for a new or used nightmare AC job so I ordered the ac delete bracket. My question is should/can I just remove the smog pump pulley and get a shorter belt since it seems to be a little noisy and wobbly as well? If I do/can can I just leave smog pump on minus the pulley with little to no effect? Or do I need to remove the whole pump? If you leave the pump and yank the pulley do you remover the idle tensioner? I don’t care about weight or clutter just need reliability at the moment. Or should I just install the ac delete pulley and hope the smog pump isn’t the culprit? I’m going to have to buy a new belt either way so I’m wondering what’s the best play? Any input would be appreciated. Has a new alternator and belt tensioner and ps seems good. Thx!